Fedora Core Install On PS3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Core Install On PS3

Question Fedora Core Install On PS3

Whoever can help,
    I am a noob when it comes to linux. I'm having issues installing Fedora Core 5 and 6 on PS3, when they are iso's on dvd-r's. I realize I need to put them on growisof's, but i have no idea how to create them. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!

growisofs is a dvd burning program for unix systems, if you are using a windows system then we need to know what software you are using to burn the iso's to whatever media, to ensure you are doing it properly

Right now i'm using Nero Ultra to burn the iso's, I also have imgburn and dvd decrypt if necessary, i really appreciate your help!
    Last edited by pearcjo; 01-18-2007 at 10:36 PM.

there should be a "burn image..." option in nero, which you can point to the iso image you want to burn, that should properly burn your iso to disc

I've done that several times, yet it still won't boot, its putting the iso image on the disc, but if failing to break it up into bootable files.

Ok, for some reason, i burned the image using imgburn onto a cd-r and it booted up fine, as long as i did the min. install and not the full. Thank you for all of your help!

give this app a try it looks like it should help accomplish what you want to do

http://dl.qj.net/PLAYSTATION-3-Other...1328/catid/514
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

User Interface

What command can should i use when all of the devices have booted up and it asks me the root@localhost #; to get to the graphical user interface in a minimal install?

startx doesn't work

because a minimal install doesnt include X, install X and whatever DE/WM you want with yum

Question

I tried installing KDE and Gnome, but there was no luck, i did this out of yum as well. It's giving me several error messages, and also saying that there are no more mirrors to try. This all happens whenever the system is "setting up repositories core"

those errors would be handy for a diagnosis, and are you sure your networking is up

I honestly have no idea how to get my networking enabled on the ps3 in linux. It auto connects whenever i run the game-os, but idk of a code or command to boot networking if thats the case. I also have another question, is there any way that i can do a full install? I guess that would probably save a noobie some trouble if that could be accomplished. Perhaps on cd-r, because that is the only thing working it seems like. Thanks again

yes if you can do a minimal install, you can do a full, its just more packages nothing different in the install process

im guessing you need a patched kernel or the likes to have networking support, what network chipset does the PS3 use and maybe we can figure it out

I'm not sure specifically what chipset it uses, I know uses the cell processor. Also, when doing a full install on cd-r's, it doesn't ask for disc 2, etc? It just fails all of the following commands whenever its done with disc 1-how do i override that?