Funny Vista Screenshot - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny Vista Screenshot

Someone I know recently purchased a Dell laptop with Vista pre-installed. 2 devices built onto the laptop are not supported by Vista and there is a piece of software that was pre-installed that will not work.

Who the hell pre-installs an OS on a laptop without making sure it supports the hardware?

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    Who the hell pre-installs an OS on a laptop without making sure it supports the hardware?
    Nothing Dell does surprises me.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by beerman
    Linux Geeks.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Linux Geeks.
    Touche.

Quote Originally Posted by beerman
    Who the hell pre-installs an OS that's only a few weeks old, and hasn't really been tested from the looks of things?

This thread is turning into a vista bashing session... Time to merge???

Actually, even M$ complains about the craplets OEMs dump onto them. And most of the time craplets are there to enhance the post-sales market by increasing bloat and points of failure.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Quote Originally Posted by chameleon
    Who the hell pre-installs an OS that's only a few weeks old, and hasn't really been tested from the looks of things?
    Vista is released for months now... (30th Jan 2007, you know...)
    I mean, OEMs big enough, like dell, should be getting them earlier to test stuff...

Anyway, the game of OEMs is to get the latest and greatest out in the shortest possible time....

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoKJ
    Vista is released for months now... (30th Jan 2007, you know...)
    I mean, OEMs big enough, like dell, should be getting them earlier to test stuff...

Anyway, the game of OEMs is to get the latest and greatest out in the shortest possible time....
    It was released on the 30 Jan 07 and it's the 9 Feb 07 today, and you think that's a few months? Are you using a vista calendar?

Even if a big player like DELL gets it early to test, I seriously doubt they're going to do more rigorous testing than MS would do themselves. And even if they do conduct rigorous testing, it'll be in the area of specific device compatibility and not the general usability and reliability of the OS itself, which as we all know, is always flakey for a considerable time after release.

What am I thinking???

I mean the Vista and Office 2007 combined release for corporations. That was around the new year. Though not months, its been released for at least 1 month for the malware authors to tinker with.

I agree that its flakey. In fact, OEMs seldom care -- they'll just put the affected drivers on some website. Only the new models, coming with vista only, that will be compatible.

Sigh.... I wish real mode is still viable, and open BIOSes with standard drivers were commonplace...

Yeah, it actually released on November 30 to select customers. And my first and only Dell computer came with a flaky BIOS that caused it to lock up repeatedly every day, so clearly there's very little testing that goes into those machines.

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    This thread is turning into a vista bashing session... Time to merge???
    Actually, maybe it's time I say some specific things about Vista so I'm not just bashing it. Here we go:

1. It is sort of "pretty."

2. The recommended hardware specs are totally ridiculous. 256mb video card required for Aero...please!!!

3. MS is again practicing security by obscurity. Even though you still log in by default as a local admin, you don't have the right to do any administrative functions unless you right-click on what you want to do and select Run as Admin but you never have to enter a password! Wouldn't it have been better to follow the Unix model of running unprivileged and then if you require super user permission to be prompted for root's username and password? I'm coining a new term for MS Security, I'm calling it "Silly Security."

Oh and for the record, I got Vista Business Edition for free as part of the MSDN. I would not pay for this thing.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by klackenfus
    3. MS is again practicing security by obscurity. Even though you still log in by default as a local admin, you don't have the right to do any administrative functions unless you right-click on what you want to do and select Run as Admin but you never have to enter a password! Wouldn't it have been better to follow the Unix model of running unprivileged and then if you require super user permission to be prompted for root's username and password? I'm coining a new term for MS Security, I'm calling it "Silly Security."
    QFT

I had to install it at work because we need to certify that our software will run on it, and by the time the install and basic configuration was done I was automatically clicking OK on the UAC windows without thinking about it. Give me a couple of years of that and I'm sure I'd be clicking okay on every darn window that popped up, even if it was asking me if I wanted to let Trojan X reformat my hard drive.

Does Steve Ballmer still wear Incredible Hulk underwear
    Run, Bill! It's Tux, the linux monster!

Quote Originally Posted by klackenfus
    1. It is sort of "pretty."
    As for speaking of positive things, at least it looks better than this:

I am still using the "classic" theme at work because the XP theme is a little too... "Fisher Price" for me. Though I've got to give MS credit for being creative for the XP theme. The new Vista look seems borrowed from Linux's X and Mac's OSX.

Quote Originally Posted by chameleon
    It's a gentoo thing, you wouldn't understand.