Forum advertising - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum advertising

Alright, take your points - as I say: let's hope you're right.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    Actually, I think Microsoft's ads here are part of a package deal.
    Yep -- the forum (or Jupitermedia, I'm not quite sure which) sells aggregate ad space to some other entity, which sells some of that space to Microsoft. We get their ads along with everyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by lugoteehalt
    Newspapers used to be left wing, or demos friendly, untill adverts were introduced. Then they went out of business and were replaced by right wing, power friendly, papers.

It matters like hell that the forum takes adverts.
    You bet it matters. The ads go away, the forum goes at the exact same moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bwkaz
    Yep -- the forum (or Jupitermedia, I'm not quite sure which) sells aggregate ad space to some other entity, which sells some of that space to Microsoft. We get their ads along with everyone else's.
    C'mon - you saying Microsoft does not decide where its ad's are placed? And God didn't make no little green aplles {how to hell do you spell aples?} in the summer time.

'You bet it matters. The ads go away, the forum goes at the exact same moment.'
    It's the *Microsoft* bit that's particularly odd - wouldn't the Umbrella Corporation be preferable?
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Apples

Wasn't all the ads delivered by an external independent company that Juniper has very little control over? The most I've seen them be able to do is "this ad has broken code and is making things difficult for users" and it gets fixed/removed

I wonder how they'd respond to "Our users are threatening to leave because the MS ads are getting more and more desperate, and it's offensive sometimes."
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

We have our own ad sales dept. but we don't turn away a corp. like MS when they want to advertise on our forums. They have every right to do so. Linux isn't a religion, as was pointed out earlier. If I'm MS I wanna market products to those that don't use them, even more than those that do.

If your hatred of MS has gone to such lengths, they've already affected you more than they should be able to. If you would not use a forum just because it occasionally runs MS ads, then you've given MS tremendous power over you. They're just a software company, for chrissakes, not Satan incarnate.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    They're just a software company, for chrissakes...
    Actually no, they're the biggest continuing criminal enterprise on the planet, and they're working on all fronts to destroy linux. If they had their way, this site and all other linux sites would dry up and blow away...

--Andrew Morton on RMS

Although its accuracy is disputed, I think this site provides some interesting reading.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Can someone splain me why I pay my Cable company money to get a program that still has comercials? Wasn't the original idea of cable to offer programs un-interupted?

Even if this was a subscriber site I'm positive it'd still contain advertisements of some sort.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

ADDs

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    do people even notice those ad's?

I guess i am just so accustomed to ignoring the top and side bars that I couldn't tell you what was there.

I guess i have ad-block brain extension.
    I never saw them either I think someone is trying to make us see them!
    Tricky if you ask me. I get MicroSoft through my state college in NY so I take it as I have to pay regardless of if I use it or not. XP $3.00 anyone or how about VISTA for $8.00 but dont for get the increase in your tuition that it caused.
    MS taxing students.
    I use linux mostly except for where I have no alternative, and prefer it.
    Ill take the adds not the forced MS tax.

Actually no, they're the biggest continuing criminal enterprise on the planet, and they're working on all fronts to destroy linux. If they had their way, this site and all other linux sites would dry up and blow away...
    LOL, I know where you are coming from with that comment, but if they aren't charged and convicted then they can't really be considered criminals.

I blame US Justice for not breaking the monopoly they have on the desktop market.

http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit019.html
    http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm
    http://www.zone-h.org/content/view/14586/30/
    The list goes on and on buddy...

In the US, justice can be bought but the price tag is higher than in, say, Mexico.

--Andrew Morton on RMS

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup
    I agree, or at least continue the discussion in another subforum in a more appropriate thread.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)