WIFI problems

Thread: WIFI problems

[SOLVED] WIFI problems

Hi There,

I'm sorry to bother you again with a new problem , this time the WIFI.
    I am trying to get Ubuntu 64 to recognize my wireless Broadcom 44xx series. I have searching and found some pages concerning this topic. This goes smoothly through Ndiswrapper 1-32 and 1-35. However, when I get to the driver part, I always come back to the same point: the bcmwl5 is an invalid driver. I should use the bcm43xx instead. (See attached file)

A very good suggestion from Ubuntu, but how do I realize that? Which one is it, couldn't find an .inf file? Or is it another format? And is this OK for the 64 system that I have?

I am happy to provide any more information, just tell me where to find it.
    Still a bit lost in Linux.....

Thank you for your attention,
    Cheers,
    Bart
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alpine CH; 03-16-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Install fwcutter via synaptic,this will enable the .inf file to be extracted. I use the same driver,ndiswrapper is the way to go with this (the bcm43xx is buggy)for reliable connection.
    Install wpa supplicant too if you are using wpa personal encryption instead of wep(recommended).

Hope this helps,any probs post back obviously!

Hi tomcat1965,

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it!

So do I get you right: I have to install the fwcutter and then do the following command (in the folder where the file is saved):

~$sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter bcmwl5.inf

Then it all should work? Or what would be the next step?

Thanks again,
    Bart

PS I see a file that contains bcmwl564.sys What does this do? Do I need it for my Ubuntu64?

copy the windows driver to your laptop (Desktop) then type in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

I used this driver from here:http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o

Then: % sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

Then % sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

Then % sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

Then % modprobe bcm43xx

Now reboot.

Now go to System->Administration->Networking

go to wireless connection properties and fill in the relevant details....and check the enable this connection box.
    you should be up and running now.........I hope!

what tomcat is saying is, use the native driver instead of ndiswrapper, be warned that you will need to blacklist ndiswrapper from loading, it may conflict with your device if you are going to use the native drivers, which is suggested method

Thumbs up

Hey Tomcat,

Thank you sooo much! I now have the wireless symbol and it looks like it's ready to go. Can't check it fully, since I'm not at home and at work we have no wireless but is sure looks way more promising than it has ever been. Thank you for your patience and keep you posted on the last details!!

@dkeav
    Install fwcutter via synaptic,this will enable the .inf file to be extracted. I use the same driver,ndiswrapper is the way to go with this (the bcm43xx is buggy)for reliable connection.
    This part made me puzzle. ndiswrapper seems the way yet not because the bcm43xx is buggy. So should I use it or not? I didn't get this part what to do then with fwcutter which is why I asked. Tomcat's fool's proof way to go was exactly what I needed.

Thanks again for the replies!
    Cheers,
    Bart

PS ndiswrapper is blacklisted, thanks dkeav!

well they are correct the driver depending on what kernel you are running is rather buggy, its not overly bad in 2.6.18 and up, its such a pain getting people to use the proper drivers though since ndiswrapper method has been the only way prior to native drivers being around, when people search they still see that method and use it, i'm not quite sure why the poster contridicted themselves that way, but atleast you figured it out

PS: a search of these forums would have turned up the same answer probably 20+ times

Wireless network not detected (others are though :confused: )

Hi there,

After getting the WIFI working using the above commands, the light now lights up when the WIFI card is activated. However, the my wireless network is not detected, no matter what I do (WPA, WEP or whatever).

When I configure my wireless via Administration -> networking -> wireless connection, then the WIFI is actually not detected.... If i leave it unconfigured, then the WIFI is detected and finds a Network, just not mine (probably a neighour's). Command iwlist scanning gives me the details of this network but not mine. The other one is without encryption, mine has but switching it off makes no difference; channel change is also in vain.
    I also have no chance to configure the eth1, where my wireless is located, via network tools.

Apparently, there seems to be something wrong in the settings. But where? Windows finds all networks in my neighbourhood; 3 ESSIDs in total ("HomeNet" (mine), "Home" and "default"). Linux finds only my neighbours "Home" and I think he won't allow me to use his...

Does some one have a clue where to look? I am kinda lost in where to search for getting it to work.

Hoping for a clue to bring me furthere,
    Cheers,
    Bart

Ooooops....you're using 64bit Ubuntu aren't you,and thats a 32bit driver....It's too large to attach to the post in the forum,but google for: bcm4318x64.tar.gz

Uninstall the 32bit driver and start over,should get you sorted.

Hi Tomcat,

Just to make sure that I don't get more trouble: you are sure it works? I googled on the topic and see people use this driver for the bcm4318. According to lspci, though, I seem to have the 4311. Can this cause more trouble?

Cheers,
    Bart

Smile Slowly getting there

Hi There,

I have been fighting with my WIFI for quite some time now, realizing the support for the Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD64 is rather thin to say the least. Drivers for the WIFI seems to be the biggest problem, since they all relate to the 32bit system and this is not really useful for the DELL 1390 WLAN Mini-card that comes with it under 64bit structure.

I found a way to get the WIFI active here:

(http://web.tiscali.it/belial/Dell_15...ion_guide.html)

It now listens to the switch (Fn-F2) nicely, but it seems that it is not defined under eth1. It actually shows up no where. Therefore I need to defne it in the /etc/network/interfaces if I understand correctly. How to do this I haven't figured yet. Can some one tell me what I have to fill in to have my WIFI defined at the eth1 and presented in the gnome network manager?

Thank you in advance,
    Cheers,
    Bart

PS System change to Debian 64 Etch

Got it!!

I just logged into my wireless network using Linux for the first time!!!

I had to restart the computer and then the wireless was detected. Filling in the details first didn't work, but twinkling around the system, setting the channel and parameters suddenly made the network to be detected.

To summarize, in case some one might run into this while seraching for solutions, I downloaded the drivers from the link in the previous post, installed ndiswrapper (no native drivers for a 64 yet as it seems) and made sure the correct driver was detected (first I had to delete the old one before it took the right one). Then setting it up and off it went.

Now a beer....
    Cheers,
    Bart