Issue with WinXP using Samba share

Thread: Issue with WinXP using Samba share

Issue with WinXP using Samba share

Even though I still keep a dual-boot on one machine, it has been a considerable amount of time since I've used a windows machine to connect to my Debian file server. I have a friend that has a computer at my house now that uses WinXP exclusively. Anyway, to the point of the post...

WinXP can see the share and connect to it fine. However, some directories randomly and frequently get locked out while viewing or copying - error is can't read from source. I can view these directories/files fine on my Linux box networked to the share. I can also open up a program like WinSCP and through SSH grab these files. So the problem is in Samba to Explorer and not the directory structure or network. Also, another weird problem is if he copies files to my share, they all become lowercased. If he hits F2 to rename with uppercase letters, those auto-lowercase(this does not happen from my Linux host). Occasionaly, he will get "Can't write to path, file/directory no longer exist" when trying to create a new directory or copy files to the share.

Here is the relevant part of /etc/samba/smb.conf

[Music]
    comment = Music RW Share
    path = /home/Trilarian/Music
    writable = yes
    case sensitive = yes
    default case = lower
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = no
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

do you have an huge amount of files in those folders?

Recently i connected linux to linux via a samba share and it just coulnd't handle the load...i switch that same share to NFS and all was fine.

were you using CIFS or SMBFS, because i have a TON of files linux to linux with no problems via CIFS

Wow, its been a long time since I posted anything.

Yes, make sure to use CIFS.

Windows "updates" seem to keep making changes that effect samba for some reason.....You can figure that one out probably.

Soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    do you have an huge amount of files in those folders?

Recently i connected linux to linux via a samba share and it just coulnd't handle the load...i switch that same share to NFS and all was fine.
    Roughly 300GBs of mp3/ogg/flac/mpc/etc. are being shared. Works fine Linux <> Linux, but has issues with Windows <> Linux. I may try NFS when I get a chance, though I don't see why a mature program like Samba would falter so easily... many servers are in TBs nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    were you using CIFS or SMBFS, because i have a TON of files linux to linux with no problems via CIFS
    As far as I know(and it has been awhile since I've been on a windows box), I don't have the option of changing connection types. In Linux, I use mount -t cifs .... but for windows it is mapping a network drive which only gives me the options of drive letter and path to share.

I added these lines to smb.conf with no noticable difference:

unix extensions = yes
    delete readonly = yes
    ea support = yes

Any other ideas?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

windows update and run your antivirus??

samba works flawlessly for me on a 1.2TB raid with nearly 1TB of information being accessed by up to 3-4 unix/linux boxes at a time, including mac, and it is easily accesed by windows clients without problem as well

you might make sure its not a release bug in your version of samba, or possibly windows fault if windows client is the only one having problems it sounds more like something is wrong with the windows box, gee i wonder what that could be

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    windows update and run your antivirus??

samba works flawlessly for me on a 1.2TB raid with nearly 1TB of information being accessed by up to 3-4 unix/linux boxes at a time, including mac, and it is easily accesed by windows clients without problem as well

you might make sure its not a release bug in your version of samba, or possibly windows fault if windows client is the only one having problems it sounds more like something is wrong with the windows box, gee i wonder what that could be
    Winblows update didn't catch anything. Found a few security bots on his drive, but nothing major - still having the same problem. It's not such a big deal as he won't be staying here all that long, but I'd still like to figure it out for closure. Mainly for if I have to setup a Linux <> Windows share enviroment at work, I'd like to have the old config files stored away for reference.

-Mark Twain

get another known working windows box and check it against your server if same behavior, its samba if different its his windows install

Found it!!

browseable = yes

That freed up all the directories I couldn't access... no idea why it let me view 75% or so of them, but not the remaining 25% with this not in the config file(or why a Linux machine had 100% access).

short preserve case = yes

Fixed the upper/lower problem. Not sure why preserve case was not enough - thought short preserve case was for the 8 character DOS names... Anyway, it all works fine for the remaining two weeks he is in town haha. Thanks for the help.

-Mark Twain

you can try this:

Local Security settings, Local Policies, Security Options:

Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users - default in 2003 SP1 is disabled - must be set to enabled

Network Access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares - default in 2003 SP1 is enabled - must be set to disabled

Network Access: LAN Manager authentication levels - default in 2003 SP1 is "send NTLM response only" - must be set to "send LM & NTLM responses