Pc Freezing. Ram Memory?

Thread: Pc Freezing. Ram Memory?

Pc Freezing. Ram Memory?

I have run memtest but it shows no error on the RAM memory. Around 5 days ago my pc began freezing, then 2 days ago it stopped freezing and worked so perfectly that I could use azureus (a bittorrent client) and play a DVD. Now it started freezing again. Help... Should I buy a new memory?

If its not bad memory, it could be heat...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius_Caesar
    I have run memtest but it shows no error on the RAM memory. Around 5 days ago my pc began freezing, then 2 days ago it stopped freezing and worked so perfectly that I could use azureus (a bittorrent client) and play a DVD. Now it started freezing again. Help... Should I buy a new memory?
    How much memory do you currently have? How much can your computer use? How many memory slots. If you have vacant slots and can use more memory then there is little downside to ordering some memory but it might not solve your problem of freezing.

sometimes with memtest you may have to test each stick one at a time to find the bad stick, no always but ive had it happen to me where a stick was bad and no matter how long i let memtest run it never gave errors, but removing the good sticks it started producing errors immediatly, just an idea

it's definitely worth checking the heat thing - clean out your heatsinks and fans, and check that they are all working ok.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    sometimes with memtest you may have to test each stick one at a time to find the bad stick, no always but ive had it happen to me where a stick was bad and no matter how long i let memtest run it never gave errors, but removing the good sticks it started producing errors immediatly, just an idea
    I note there are often a mem test programs available on various linux programs. Are they all the same generally or is there any point in trying to run several different ones?

I think your idea of trying to run it with one stick removed at a time is a good idea to check for a bad memory stick.

there are some variations of memtest but thats just it, its still memtest so pick one and go with it really

pegazus and dkeav, i have only one stick (256MB) and two slots. Would you check the capacity of expansion? my pc model is in my first post.

mrBen i think it's not the heat because my computer was on for only a few minutes when it began freezing again... and i don't know how to open the cpu, i remove the upper side by pressing a button... i don't even have tools to remove the case completly.

i need your help guys!

if you have never had the case open i cant imagine how much buildup you have and have to agree with the possibility of a heat problem, you need to get that case open and see what is up and there and probably do some cleaning

you might be suprised how dusty your house can be and how much that computer sucks into its case, its usually good policy to crack the case and clean it out occasionally, my house isnt all that dusty but i clean my cases atleast once a month anyways

Memory for vaio pcv W701B

pegazus and dkeav, i have only one stick (256MB) and two slots. Would you check the capacity of expansion? my pc model is in my first post.

mrBen i think it's not the heat because my computer was on for only a few minutes when it began freezing again... and i don't know how to open the cpu, i remove the upper side by pressing a button... i don't even have tools to remove the case completly.

i need your help guys!
    I sent you you info I found at on line memory store. I am not sure but it seems you could safely insert two 512 mb ram into that machine. I found a price of $60 for each stick from a California on line store. I think it is best to buy it in pairs to get the same lot numbers and specs since many problems result from bad mixes. You find a better price if you shop around. The local shops may have some used ones they will give you cheap but try to get a 30 day return sale in case they are bad or don't work for you. good luck

Ps take the cae apart and blow it out good with a pump or vacuum cleaner cause I found lots of dust build up when I took a computer apart after three years and we run lots of air filters and cleaners in our house.

My pc was cleansed less than 6 months ago (after almost 2 years without cleaning). I don't know how to open the case then I took it to a repair shop so they could clean it... Hmm, Mr pegazuz I don't live in the US... thanks for the hint, anyway. A 512MB-memory over here costs around US$85 so I can buy only one... at a time. Thanks guys! (I wish I head a riffle so i could shoot my pc...)

A thing that might mean something for you guys: Whenever it freezes I see green spots on the top of the screen... I don't know, is it common? I never noticed that on winxp... but now it appears on the winxp installation screen too.

My pc was cleansed less than 6 months ago (after almost 2 years without cleaning). I don't know how to open the case then I took it to a repair shop so they could clean it... Hmm, Mr pegazuz I don't live in the US... thanks for the hint, anyway. A 512MB-memory over here costs around US$85 so I can buy only one... at a time. Thanks guys! (I wish I head a riffle so i could shoot my pc...)

A thing that might mean something for you guys: Whenever it freezes I see green spots on the top of the screen... I don't know, is it common? I never noticed that on winxp... but now it appears on the winxp installation screen too.
    Would any of the repair shops sell you some matched pairs that they got from an upgrade. I think more is better, especially if you have any integrated video or graphics program. You might also be better off with two 256 sticks than one 512 and they are about the same in cost here. Many mail order places here will ship you a pair of 512 MB sticks for $85 if your country and customs will let you receive them. I don't know where you live but most memory factories are in Asia and many mail order places are in Singapore and other Asian centers if those are closer.
    Last edited by pegazuz; 02-26-2007 at 11:48 PM.

I will have to buy online... or in another city (I'd have to search the addresses first). They don't have PC2700 memories here...

To be honest it sounds like a graphics card fault

I can't resist suggesting you give it a blow job.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/