OpenBSD/X-Window Speed Issues

Thread: OpenBSD/X-Window Speed Issues

OpenBSD/X-Window Speed Issues

Ok, so I have OpenBSD installed and X-Windows running (after around 30 seconds worth of delay). Then i run firefox and for some strange reason that takes around a minute to load then decides it is going to use 50% of my cpu even when it is idle (i.e. sitting on the google.co.uk page).

Now normally i wouldnt mind this however i am running a dual core Lenovo R60e with 1GB ram and two 1.6GHz CPU's. I am using the SMP kernel.

Anyone had a similar expirience or know a fix to get round this. I really like OpenBSD but this speed issue is the biggest deal breaker ever !

Have you recompiled the kernel?
    Tried searching bsdforums.org?
    (it's a registration-only site, but it's well worth it...)
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Yea i am a member of bsdforums.org but havent used it in a while and forgotten my password. Cant retrieve it till i get home as work has blocked email access.

Kernel recompile does seem like the best option, although im just confused as to why Xorg + firefox uses such a vast amount of resources (when compared to a linux install on the same machine). Xorg does seem to be suffering from whatever setting (or lack of setting) i have. Google searches return no results, possibly because everyone that uses OpenBSD knows to do a kernel recompile straight away or some other speed increase tweak that is a mystery to the casual hobbyist.

cheers for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by gentoostu
    Yea i am a member of bsdforums.org but havent used it in a while and forgotten my password. Cant retrieve it till i get home as work has blocked email access.

Kernel recompile does seem like the best option, although im just confused as to why Xorg + firefox uses such a vast amount of resources (when compared to a linux install on the same machine). Xorg does seem to be suffering from whatever setting (or lack of setting) i have. Google searches return no results, possibly because everyone that uses OpenBSD knows to do a kernel recompile straight away or some other speed increase tweak that is a mystery to the casual hobbyist.

cheers for the reply
    OpenBSD FAQ here - http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Why

it basically says you won't gain any speed from recompiling the kernel.

I think it may be something to do with OpenBSD's SMP capablility.