Gui ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gui ?

Question Gui ?

hi all ,recently installed ubuntu-7.04-beta-server-i386.iso , I get to a command prompt and login, my question does this version of linux have a GUI, and if so how do I initiate it.

Ah dude, you downloaded the wrong version of Ubuntu 7.04 beta.
    You need to download the "desktop" version, not the server version...

http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.04/ubun...sktop-i386.iso

I'm not sure if the server version install X by default, try a 'startx' from the command line. If not you can install it with
    Code:
    apt-get install xorg gnome
    AFAIK you should be able to replace gnome with the Desktop Enviroment or Window Manager of your choice...
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Arrow /

I used the server iso because no other distro would install, apart from the server version ,(I will try the suggested distro in your link)

I used the apt get command and get package not found error. is there something else I could try while waiting on the distro to download

Well, you can go ahead and enable all the repos...
    (See http://www.ubuntuguide.org for more information)
    Then, go ahead with the apt-get command.

But, honestly, just grab a bite to eat and download the ISO. If you want a desktop-tuned linux workstation, start out with the desktop-based ISO. Why try to re-invent the wheel when it's there for the downloading...

What happens when you run 'startx' from the command line?

If you don't want a server install, then have a look at the desktop version of Ubuntu, the main differences I believe are Xorg is installed / configured by default and there are less services running, which is what you would want. However I'm not sure since I don't use Ubuntu

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Arrow nearly there

ubuntu-7.04-beta-desktop-i386.iso is installed on my pc, I cannot get the pcmcia card to connect to a network, are there things I could try.

so far I have put in the essid, wep key, etc, this has worked for me in the past with ubuntu 5.10, I dont mind downgrading just as long as I get my pcmcia card to work,
    ps my pcmcia card shows both led,s flashing when I try to log on using open system, both led,s flash when I have a proper connection, if I use shared key the led,s go into scan mode if that clarifys anything. I know its a beta but its the only version of linux that will install for me.
    Edit/Delete Message

Arey you making the changes via the NetworkApplet 0.6.4?

Quote Originally Posted by deathadder
    apt-get install xorg gnome
    I see I'm a little off-topic here, but I think ubuntu has decided to make a meta-package, ubuntu-desktop, to handle all the GUI stuff. (and it happens to include so much more than just xorg and gnome)

Code:
    aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Ah OK, thanks XiaoKJ. I haven't used Ubuntu in ages so I didn't know!

Code Monkey (YouTube)

I read it off somewhere, deathadder, though I'm typing this on an ubuntu. (see, I'm not used to the brownness, and I'm still a gentoo guy)

derail for a mo: *gasp* brownness is a real word??? (British firefox dictionary add-on)

Anyway, I've also heard of aptitude's alleged superiority over apt-get since its a more comprehensive shell over apt. So you can note the different app too.

Arrow /

MastaShake57 Im using the network manager utility that came with the beta iso, well its similar to network manager, to use an example bear with me here,in windose both leds flash on off,this means im connected and able to surf, on my beta ubuntu they dont unless I use open system which is no use as my router is wep,

what kind of pcmcia card is it? Some are known to be troublesome.

Nonetheless, its most like just a bug in the beta. Be prepared to give more info and use the command line.

Arrow /

its a proxim orinoco 8470wd gold pcmcia, as I mentioned in a earlyr post it worked out of the box on ubuntu 5,10, with some slight modifications in network manager.

have you tried iwconfig?

open a command line and type
    Code:
    iwconfig <interface> essid <essid> mode managed key <key in right format, check man page for details>