I need to display sys info for Linux

Thread: I need to display sys info for Linux

I need to display sys info for Linux

I am new in this so be kind...
    I need to display sys info for Linux ... what is the command for it in Linux so i can get all the HW and OS version and Ip addresses to display on the screen or to a file ... i need it for inventory.... for example if u wanted to make an inventory of the system ... to find out what is the disk usages and IP and sys info os version and the serial numbers ... what would u use to do it… is there any thing else that u think it would be useful to get for inventory and be useg as a tool to gather a good and solid inventory of the systems that u have
    Last edited by 2man; 04-13-2007 at 07:23 PM.

PCI and PCI-express hardware: lspci (or /sbin/lspci)
    kernel version: uname -r (uname -a will give a lot more information, including CPU type, hostname, etc.)
    probable distro version: cat /etc/*_release
    networking info: ip addr show (or /sbin/ip addr show, or /sbin/ifconfig -a -- but ifconfig is old, and ip is its replacement)

(Though note that /etc/*_release doesn't have to exist. It's just becoming a somewhat-common practice for distros to create an /etc/<distro-name>_release file that contains the distro's version. But it depends on your distro.)

TKS bwkaz … u do not know how much this info helped me out…

TKS for ur help I will not forget it i needed to do an inventory of the servers but i am new... or say green in the Linux world....

"uname -a" works for all (BSD/Solaris/AIX whatever) as well. 1-to-remember.
    It's a known "problem" with OS/2. It runs continuously until the underlying hardware crumbles under you hands....

the irony of quality

In ubuntu there is now a "lshal" - the whole HAL is dumped. Or you can use lspci and lsusb together. Then look at ifconfig.

I like the program lshw which is very thorough, and can even dump out the info in a nice html file. But if you're doing this on a bunch of servers it might be a hassle to install...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

if u wanted to make an inventory of the system ... to find out what is the disk usages and IP and sys info os version and the serial numbers ... what would u use to do it… is there any thing else that u think it would be useful to get for inventory use inventory…

I have about 240 servers that I need to do an inventory for them so … thanks for the input so far … but can u help on what would be the best way of getting the inventory of the system….
    I am not familiar with lshw how can I install it I read in a thread that u have to download two programs and a “MAKE FILE” to "Build" the .exe…
    Is this true or is there an “EXE” version of it that I can use….
    Last edited by 2man; 04-13-2007 at 07:20 PM.

I didn't know you had 240 servers..it would be impractical to install lshw on all those machines. Probably what you want is a shell script that you can feed a list of hostnames to, and have it ssh to each box and record the information somehow....
    Then again, there are a lot of sysadmins on here so perhaps one of them will be kind enough to give you a script you can modify, or recomend a tool...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

TKS... the script would be a good tool to have...
    I have implemented the commands that I saw working on our system like (uname -a, ip addr show and lspci) using the VB script implemented on reflection 10 and I am running them on a click … it is better than noting … But I am open to suggestions…