User name / password

Thread: User name / password

User name / password

I run Linux Fedora core 6 version on my data server and due to no reason to access the O/S for quite some time I have lost/forgotten my user name and password ( Stupid me ! ) How do I reset these without having to re-install the O/S. I have seen suggestions but these refer to Hard Hat and Knoppix and does not make much sense to me.
    Can anybody help and as I am not used to Linux please give as much detail as possible for the Fedora core 6 version..

Thanks in advance.
    Martin

get hold of a linux boot disk or livecd, mount ur root partition, edit the file /etc/shadow

the 1st line should look like root:93t028oed8f7god:12341:0:::::

delete everything in between the 1st 2 colons

reboot and root should have no password.

edit: search this forum, i believe there is an existing thread on this
    Registered Linux User #388117

If you don't fancy editing your shadows file you can do this.
    Code:
    root@live_cd: mount /dev/hdxY /mnt/temp
    root@live_cd: chroot /mnt/temp /bin/bash
    root@fedora: passwd
    new password
    root@fedora: exit
    root@live_cd: umount /mnt/temp
    Where hdxY is your root partition, hda1 if its IDE and the first partition on the primary drive.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
    get hold of a linux boot disk or livecd, mount ur root partition, edit the file /etc/shadow
    Where do I get hold of a Linux boot disk or live cd or is this part of the original installation cd ? Is it downloadable from the web and if so pse give me a link.

Thanks Whiteknight and Deathadder

Hi,

The Fedora installation cd my have a rescue mode that gets you to a terminal, but I've got no idea, I haven't actually used it before. However you can get dozens of live-cds from the web, I recommend Knoppix. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Loads of different distros have a live-cd version, have a search on the forums and with google for some others.

This is probably better than me listing some: http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

[EDIT]
    I forgot to meantion in my previous post, if your not sure what your root partition is, you can use the command 'fdisk -l' to list the partitions on your machine. Then if all else fails, mount a likely one and check whats on it, just a ls /mnt/temp/, before doing the chmod.
    Last edited by deathadder; 05-10-2007 at 02:12 AM.

Code Monkey (YouTube)

I found this solution on the Fedora forum website. Works 100%.
    Thanks for your trouble
    Martin
    " When the login banner appears, hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a console. Login in as root and use
    # passwd username
    to change the user account's password. If you've forgotten your root password (meaning you're probably really desperate), at the grub splash screen, instead of hitting [enter] to boot your kernel, hit e to edit the boot options. Then select the line that begins with kernel and hit e again. Add the word single to the end of the line. Hit [enter] followed by b. The system will now boot into singleuser mode. Run passwd to change your root password and passwd username to change your user"

One further problem: When I open some of the windows they appear too large towards the bottom of the monitor and frequently I cannot see the "OK" button to accept changes made to the settings.
    I have tried changing the monitor settings and display card settings but no joy.
    Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by martinco
    One further problem: When I open some of the windows they appear too large towards the bottom of the monitor and frequently I cannot see the "OK" button to accept changes made to the settings.
    I have tried changing the monitor settings and display card settings but no joy.
    Any suggestions ?
    Does Gnome have alt+left mouse button for dragging windows? This is what I do in fluxbox when i manage to move some importart part of window out of the screen. Alt-right mouse button resizes window. I haven't used gnome for a long time so no idea, but maybe there is something similar.
    ladoga

ladoga it's excatly the same...I had no idea about that until just now. Thanks for that!

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ladoga
    Does Gnome have alt+left mouse button for dragging windows? This is what I do in fluxbox when i manage to move some importart part of window out of the screen. Alt-right mouse button resizes window. I haven't used gnome for a long time so no idea, but maybe there is something similar.
    Ladoga,

Thanks this works on Fedora as well !!