Opening a terminal in mac and then executing a command on it

Thread: Opening a terminal in mac and then executing a command on it

Opening a terminal in mac and then executing a command on it

Hi Guyz,
    What i am trying to do here is through a jsp page - open a terminal and then run a mysqldump on that terminal, all from the jsp page. Well i got a lot of documentation of doing the same in Windows using the cmd.exe but couldnt find one for doing the same for a mac.

this is my code so far :-
    Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
    Process p = rt.exec("Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app");

You want to open a terminal from a jsp page? I don't think it's going to let you do that, and if it does it probably shouldn't. Unless I'm missing something it sounds you could just run mysqldump directly through exec().

Hi cybertron,
    You are right and that is exactly what i wanted to do ultimately, execute the mysql dump. but the command doesnt do it for some reason. For eg
    Process p = rt.exec("mysqldump -h000.000.000.000 -uabc -pxyz database client > ~/desktop/cli.txt

Quote Originally Posted by nisargz
    Hi cybertron,
    You are right and that is exactly what i wanted to do ultimately, execute the mysql dump. but the command doesnt do it for some reason. For eg
    Process p = rt.exec("mysqldump -h000.000.000.000 -uabc -pxyz database client > ~/desktop/cli.txt

Not sure if you typed the command exactly, but your missing a ');' at the end.
    That might help with execution.