Learnng Linux Command Line???

Thread: Learnng Linux Command Line???

Learnng Linux Command Line???

I am the new guy on the block, the newbie. My goal is to learn Linux, like the rest of you. My background is with MS Windows, as a systems administrator. I have learned that the true power of the Wndows OS is at the command line. So, instead of beginning with a Linux graphical interface, I was wondering if it would be best to begin at the command line.

My question to the community is whether this is a wise choice?
    If so, where and how do I start?

easiest way is to get a live cd and start there.

Open up a term window (since many of them do have graphical interfaces) and start out by browsing /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin and using the man command on some of the commands you see in those directories.

One command that you will find that you need is ls (similar to dir in dos) and cd (same as dos).

The way that I started was with the book Linux for Dummies.

No joke. It was very very helpful, especially just inside the front cover.

HTH
    Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!

gentoo, debian or slackware.

Don't go for SUSE or Fedora and Mandriva that are targeted as drop in Windows replacements, 'cuase well, you are trying to get away from Windows.

You should be able to netinstall a debian machine in about 15 minutes, no gui, no apps no nothing, just linux and a few debian packages. You said you wanted to learn the command line.

Something to keep in mind jf you do see a Linux KDE or Gnome utility that you like, is that many of them are really just guis for a command line program. e.g. Imagemagick is the frontend for display and a host of other image manipulation programs, df and du have gui front ends available for them, etc.

Here this will get you started with linux/unix commands, also take a look at Rute it will help you learning linux also.

Have fun!

Install a full-blown distro. You'll get plenty of opportunities to log into the CLI for problem solving. With a working distro, you'll have a way to surf the internet for answers to your problems.

Being a Debian fan, I'd like to recommend Debian Etch with a visit to forums (see the links below my name) to install whats needed. From there, you can dig into the CLI commands as you will.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

I suggest installing debian or gentoo. Either one of them will give you good start with command line.

For debian it's a good idea to choose netinstall CD image as it's small and contains all necessary stuff for making basic install. When installer asks about type of installation (laptop, desktop, server...) just deselect all check boxes and you'll be thrown into the CLI without any additional software installed.

If you want to browse the net while in CLI, apt-get install elinks (maybe emerge elinks in gentoo?) to install one of many text web browsers. You can use Ctrl-Alt-f2 to switch into another session and launch the browser there. Ctrl-Alt-f1 will switch you back to original session. Now you can read all the tutorials on the net and mess with the CLI at the same time. You might also install irssi irc client and head to your distros support channel for interactive help.

Mrrangerman already posted some good links. Here is another, more complete list of basic linux/unix commands http://www.ss64.com/bash/ you might also look for some bash tutorials (rute probably covers it well enough).
    ladoga

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    I've always felt that Slackware is the best for the "Basic Training" approach. It will force you to learn the command line.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by knute
    easiest way is to get a live cd and start there.

Open up a term window (since many of them do have graphical interfaces) and start out by browsing /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin and using the man command on some of the commands you see in those directories.

One command that you will find that you need is ls (similar to dir in dos) and cd (same as dos).

The way that I started was with the book Linux for Dummies.

No joke. It was very very helpful, especially just inside the front cover.

HTH
    Knute,

Thanks for the advice. The Dummies Series is actually quite helpful, from the standpoint of technology in general. I actually work on occation with Unix, at the command-line, and my understanding is Linux is POSIX compliant, which makes the commands relatively the same. LS, CD, PWD, GREP, are the tools I use the most.

I want to learn more and because Linux is slowly suplanting MS Windows OS's, it is time to jump. I have a spare machine, which I will be loadng.

Thanks again for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    gentoo, debian or slackware.

Don't go for SUSE or Fedora and Mandriva that are targeted as drop in Windows replacements, 'cuase well, you are trying to get away from Windows.

You should be able to netinstall a debian machine in about 15 minutes, no gui, no apps no nothing, just linux and a few debian packages. You said you wanted to learn the command line.
    Happybunny,

Thanks for the advice. I do want to learn the command line, and your advice makes sense. My first impression was to begin with Slackware; however, with what little I know about Linux, my concern is that a Zero Configuration would result in frustration. Any thoughts?
    LLRWTP

"It is not a soldiers duty to die for his country. A soldiers duty is to make some other poor bastard die for his." - General George Patton

My first impression was to begin with Slackware; however, with what little I know about Linux, my concern is that a Zero Configuration would result in frustration. Any thoughts?
    I started with slackware, installed everyting except X, and used only cli and mc (midnight commander) to edit config files (searching justlinux.com and other places happend on an other machine). In the end I had a samba-server and dhcp-server that played mp3-files. (until the noisy fans started to irritate me)
    Last edited by folkert; 05-21-2007 at 11:51 AM.