Computer randomly freezes

Thread: Computer randomly freezes

Computer randomly freezes

Occasionally, like every few hours of use (this does not happen if i leave my computer idle), my whole computer will completely lock up. This sometimes happens if I'm playing WoW. I thought it was a problem with windows xp, so I installed ubuntu feisty because windows was pissing me off in other ways as well. Well it turns out I have the same issue in linux. I think it must be a hardware problem.

Anyway, my question is where is the log file I can check to try and find out what happens right before it locks up? I'm not sure which log file to check as there are like a million of them.

Thank you in advance.
    -Glitch

"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." - Linus Torvalds

Registered linux user # 296563

i would download memtest to see if it has bad ram........ what other does it do before it freezes ?? your computer might be overheating...... or it could be a bad power supply the best thing is to trouble shoot where the prboem is. if its due to heat try cleaning the cpu fans and see if there is alot of dust in the computer case. heat can cause that problem as well as other hardware problems.

good luck
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

temperature

I know how to check the temperatures in BIOS, but how would I do that in linux?

I'm downloading memtest right now to try and test the memory.

Thanks
    -Glitch

"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." - Linus Torvalds

Doesn't ubuntu have memtest on the live cd? For sensors you can installand configure lm-sensors. Then an app like gkrellm or even superkaramba will do

b

yeah, ubuntu does come with it

Yeah, ubuntu does come with it, but I didn't realize that until I had already run memtest.

Anyway, memtest passed flawlessly with no errors, so I don't think it's the memory. I'm gonna keep an eye on the temperature monitor on gkrellm, the computer is kind of dusty.
    -Glitch

Could be a power supply getting weak, if your running with a cd-rom and a burner maybe unplug one of them and see if that helps. And if it does, you may think about getting a larger PS. Another thing to look into is if your Video card has a fan, make sure its running.

in my experince with computers must problems with lock ups are hardware or software like virus...... must common hardware problems are power supply , bad ram and major overheating which all can cause locks up. like i said before i would problem solve and try to install a spare power supply if you have one lying around. i have many computers and if my hardware fails i can swap to see whats the problem before i spend money getting a new part. I have had bad ram , and power supply fail several times since 1986. I have also had bad cpu , motherboards and even hardrives since that time . It does happen.

video cards can also cause it but its usaully not the cause of lock ups during normal task. video cards tend to lock up the computer when running heavy 3d or heavy gamming which it may be the card.

you can test the temp with the
    sensor module. i don't rember the name but its in the kernel as well as a appz. and i do have it installed when i needed to install it.

the computer is kind of dusty that might be your main problem. get a dust blow can and clean it. dust is a source of major heat problems. It might be getting stuck on the fans. are your fans loaded with dust if so clean them as well. dust can do alot of lockup on computers

good luck
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS