[SOLVED]Is it possible to have different root passwords in kde and in the shell

Thread: [SOLVED]Is it possible to have different root passwords in kde and in the shell

[SOLVED]Is it possible to have different root passwords in kde and in the shell

Hi,

Is it possible to have different root passwords in kde and in the shell?
    I say this because when I click on a program icon on kde, it asks me for the root password, I enter it and it says incorrect passwd, I have entered hundreds of times, and even changed the pass in the shell, and it keeps telling: incorrect.

Please tell me how can I change my passwd in both sites, or else how can I be root in kde from the shell?

Thank you in advance

it might be asking for your user password for SUDO permissons.

Thanks for telling me

And how can I change this password? because I don't remember to put any password for my default user in linux, I just gave a password to root with:

sudo passwd

but this other password how can I change it, or reset it?

So your regular user has no password? You should be able to set one using passwd the same way you did for root, except without the sudo. If it won't let you do that for some reason you can try "sudo passwd yourusername" of course replacing the appropriate part with your username. That will reset it as root (which apparently you do have a password for now) and that way it doesn't matter what the previous password was.

It sound a little weird that you would be able to log in as a user but not have a password for them, so if that doesn't work you might want to post more details (distro at the very least).

Thanks for the tip, I did that right away, I changed the password for root and for my user too, with these comands:

sudo passwd root
    passwd knoppix

I put the same password to do it less confusing

And then tried again to enter any application, I tried to change the hour and I still getting that window:

execute as root - kde su
    the action you asked has root privileges. Please, enter the superuser password, or click on ignore to continue with your actual privileges
    comand: usr/bin/kcmshell kde-clock.desktop --lang es

And I try again to enter the password various times, and doesn't work

I have knoppix installed on my hard drive, but I have tried with the live dvd to the same thing, and I didnĀ“t have this problem........

Hmm, that's strange. Does it work to use "su" from the command-line? If that doesn't work they might have done something to disable root logins, although I'm not sure how they would have done that.

yes, maybe is something someone did, although that someone doesn't get anything by doing that, because if or anybody have any problems and can't do anything or install nothing, obviously it's going to reinstall, or to restore an image of the hard drive.........mmm.........these "hackers".......................

so I solved it reinstalling again,

regards

I'll mark it solved then.