Picking a laptop.

Thread: Picking a laptop.

Picking a laptop.

I didn't know whether to put this in hardware or not so I stuck it here.

I'm currently looking to buy a laptop and was wondering is there any brand I should look at for Linux compatibility.

I just got ( a month ago) a Dell D520. Buy it as a small business and you can get XP on it, and swap the Dell/Broadcom Wireless for the intel option ($40 or so IIRC) and it will be more plug n play with Ubuntu 7.04 than with Windows XP.

I upped the screen to 15" from 14", and doubled the RAM from 512mb to 1gb. Cost after shipping, etc. was $805.

I got a gateway nx860xl, dual 2.1 gig centrinoes, 2 gigs of ram, 120 gig hd,
    bluetooth, wireless,and dvd everthing burner, 17 inch screen. I ripped out xp and installed kubuntu 6.10 then 7.04, with no promblems. Got it refurbed from gateway, 840.00 dropped at my door. Also, these guys , linux certified , will build you one.
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

I'd recommend either a Lenovo T series or a macbook pro.
    Since you're a geekthattweaks perhaps you'd enjoy the challenge of getting linux going on the macbook.
    Besides, I know that each and every component in those dell and gateway computers is THE CHEAPEST AVAILABLE ON THE PLANET.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad

I've been happy with mine and I think I'll never buy any other laptop than thinkpad. Best keyboard i've ever used (and this is in 12" ultraportable), rugged (basically built inside titanium alloy box), very well thought out design (easy to disassemble for service and cleaning) and it works perfectly with linux.

Customer support is also very good with IBM. I don't know about lenovo as mine was bought in 2005 and fell under IBM's warranty.
    Last edited by ladoga; 06-04-2007 at 05:35 PM.
    ladoga

I like Apple laptops. Just wish I could afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    I'd recommend either a Lenovo T series or a macbook pro.
    Since you're a geekthattweaks perhaps you'd enjoy the challenge of getting linux going on the macbook.
    Besides, I know that each and every component in those dell and gateway computers is THE CHEAPEST AVAILABLE ON THE PLANET.
    Went with a T60 here and eagerly awaiting its delivery. Supposed to ship 06/11.
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.

You can, of couse, now get a Dell laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled. Now - you might not be an Ubuntu fan, but personally I think that (assuming you can live with a Dell laptop) it would be a good move to support them in their venture.

Failing that, I concur with the suggestions to get a Lenovo T series - I have a T41 from work which works out of the box with Ubuntu (I've not tried the modem, but everything else, including wireless, works out of the box). And you couldn't wish for a more solid laptop - it's not pretty, but you do feel like it will last forever, and they're very well specced.

*Disclaimer - yes, I do work for IBM, so I might be biased
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

I have been running Ubuntu, first 6.10, now 7.04, on a Dell Latitude D820.
    It runs OK. It doesn't wow me in any way, but it does work as advertised.
    Hardwarewise there are only two issues: 1. even with the latest nVidia driver, twinview is flaky at best. I usually just switch between local and external monitor and don't attempt to run both. In all fairness, this doesn't seem to work all that well in XPee on this particular video card either. (GeForce Go 7200)
    2. The sound port on the docking station doesn't work at all under Linux. I have to plug the external speakers into the headphone port.

Speaking of the sound card, in order to get the mic to work for skype, I had to put an amixer command into rc.local to toggle the input source between line and mic, like this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/amixer set "Input Source" Line
    /usr/bin/amixer set "Input Source" Mic
    Other than that, like I said, it runs "OK" speed is decent, screen resolutions is good, Intel wifi works as advertised, etc.

However, due to a re-org at work, I got to order a new laptop and bequeath this to a co-worker. I ordered a new Lenovo Stinkpad T61, which should be here this week...we'll see how it compares.

As for slightly older models, I have seen Linux run really well on Stinkpad T20's and T43's.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Do any of the laptops listed here so far Sleep? I have had a few laptops and every single one (accept and old g3 ibook) wouldn't sleep. I dont mean hibernate but sleep. I have tried the software suspends and the suspend2. None of them work for various reasons mostly video card issues. Im looking for a laptop i dont really care how old that sleeps flawlessly with very little setup.

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    My personal pet peeve is shared video memory. Whatever laptop you get, try to get dedicated video memory.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

i have a macbook myself with gentoo on it. have had it for about a year now. pretty happy with it. everything is working except suspend. i know others have gotten it working. i just haven't bothered with it. perhaps i'll set it up this weekend.

Thank you for all this info I'll be looking these up.By any chance has anyone used the dell XPS M1710.A friend recommended dell xps series but he doesn't use linux.

The XPS will work just fine if you're a gamer and absolutely have to have the fancy keyboard and red cover. Otherwise just pick the Thinkpad or Latitude and config it with the same internals and save several hundred bucks.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030