Help me create the perfect Window/Desktop, thanx!

Thread: Help me create the perfect Window/Desktop, thanx!

Threaded View

Sorry bout that, anyway right now I'm downloading freespire. Reading this articles and the distro's site caught my atention, www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3269115798.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGL#Availability

Thanks for the replies everyone!
    Here's my critic opinions, no offense

Last night I messed up my fresh xubuntu, I installed Nvidia driver using automatix2, then I followed the guide on beryl wiki, and I got a bluescreen, with some weird borders in it. Installing drivers in windows is a headache if you don't have the original cd's. And for a newbie in Linux, that would be a nightmare. This also goes for k/unbuntu. Also, JAVA, why can't it be just .deb, somehow that opposes it's cross platform claims for people who just want to play java applets online and know nothing about source code or .tar.bz2

And one more, I think quick access is more important than cleanliness. Someone in #ubuntu told me that the reason why there are no program icons in the desktop is because, it would be too crowded/flooded. I think a solution for that is divide the icons in the workspaces(1category per workspace), haven't really thought about how usefull the workspace in xfce is.

And the most annoying part, is why can't xubuntu accept that I am the owner of my computer, and that I have to be "root?"
    I used krusader just to transfer files cuz Thunar won't let me drag n drop (I think there's something wrong, setting or something). I even need to do these steps 1. ALT+F2 2. Terminal 3. Sudo Krusader 4. Password
    I wish it would just ONE CLick on the desktop

Also, firefox crashes a lot!

x/k/ubuntu is not for newbies, at least I now a lot who doesn't even know how to install firefox in xp. Synaptic would be annoying because it show's lots and lots of things that my mom wouldn't understand like libs.

Bottomline is, learning a whole new os is hard and complicated(linux), but if learning from a familliar environment not a whole new world, just a bit diff, that would be good. That's the distro for newbies.

But, just my OPINION =)
    I hope I'll like freespire. Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by thirdy; 06-05-2007 at 08:08 AM.