Problem installing software

Thread: Problem installing software

Problem installing software

Hi, I'm trying to install the program SynCE so that I can sync my windows mobile cellphone with linux. I downloaded the package that works with gnome and tried to install it, only to get this error when doing ./configure:

Code:
    checking for VFS... configure: error: Package requirements (gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.0.0 gnome-vfs-module-2.0 >= 2.0.0) were not met:

No package 'gnome-vfs-2.0' found
    No package 'gnome-vfs-module-2.0' found
    I'm running Ubuntu Fiesty with Gnome as I'm pretty sure that's the default window manager. How can I get the configure script to recognize my Gnome?
    -Glitch

"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." - Linus Torvalds

Registered linux user # 296563

A quick google suggests installing 'libgnome-vfs-common'. Use Synaptic to install it or the command line using:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgnome-vfs-common
    This thread over at Ubuntu Forums might be more helpful than install via source.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=136257

Or this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/pocket-pc-...in-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by deathadder; 06-04-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

In Debian/Ubuntu and some other distros the files you need to compile programs are split into separate packages since they are not needed for day-today use. You have to install the relevant development packages to enable you to compile packages these are normally suffixed with -dev.

Quote Originally Posted by deathadder
    A quick google suggests installing 'libgnome-vfs-common'. Use Synaptic to install it or the command line using:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgnome-vfs-common
    This thread over at Ubuntu Forums might be more helpful than install via source.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=136257

Or this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/pocket-pc-...in-ubuntu.html

Thanks! May I ask what search terms you used? I tried google before posting, but to no avail. I simply pasted the error in, however.
    -Glitch

"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." - Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by retsaw
    In Debian/Ubuntu and some other distros the files you need to compile programs are split into separate packages since they are not needed for day-today use. You have to install the relevant development packages to enable you to compile packages these are normally suffixed with -dev.

Thank you!! you just taught me a life-long linux lesson. I was trying to install something else to use synce, and i got an error about python and how some program couldn't be found. so i searched apt-cache and found a package called python-all-dev, installed it, and it worked.

Thanks again!
    -Glitch

Are there not packages for synce on Ubuntu?
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.