Microsoft Vista Wow - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vista Wow

NecroLin: I love your passion for Linux, but honestly, something ISN'T right with the setup you are on right now: Ludootje was right on. But really, on the right computer (read: on the right computer) Vista is really a great experience (unless you are simply totally anti-windows). I love Linux as much as the next guy (I am a unix admin by trade, and could never use anything besides a linux server, personally ), but I have had nothing but good experiences with Vista as a desktop OS so far: everything just works like I want it to.

I am trying not to be an ***, but you really should try to figure out what is going on with your setup that something is running that slow instead of bitcing about it in a forum like a zealot. The problem could easily be the amount of ram that you are running on: that is one thing that Vista really tends to eat up.

At one point I was working in an IT department for an engineering firm.
    The head of IT was just DROOLING over Vista because she could lock the users down more like it was when NT was first out.
    Though, I must say, that I DID find hardware that would run XP like any decent operating system (dual xenon with a couple of gigs of ram and a HUGE dual monitor video card system that's used for graphically intensive engineering apps). Yeah, windows ran almost as fast as my gentoo system at home on a 733 with 512 mb ram.
    Needless to say, I was slightly impressed, if I do say so myself.

As for Vista, well, everything is driven by money, including the computer business. They intentionally add bloat and call it "newer and better" when all they are after is forcing people to buy more hardware with their OS on it. (And the worst part is when they have an expiration date built into the operating system to cause the computer to simply stop working! )
    Knute

You live, you die, enjoy the interval!

Quote Originally Posted by knute
    (And the worst part is when they have an expiration date built into the operating system to cause the computer to simply stop working! )
    WHAT?

You don't have to believe me....

Quote Originally Posted by Ludootje
    While I can imagine the other points you mentioned, this simply isn't possible. I'm not advocating Vista or anything, but you must've done something wrong there. That's simply not possible, IMHO.
    You don't have to believe me, just try it out yourself. It's an easy experiment. The only rule is to use what comes with the system. Right click and choose extract. Use a stopwatch and time it. You'll be surprised.
    Last edited by NecroLin; 06-10-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Lighten up

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpeedoBeast
    NecroLin: I am trying not to be an ***, but you really should try to figure out what is going on with your setup that something is running that slow instead of bitcing about it in a forum like a zealot. The problem could easily be the amount of ram that you are running on: that is one thing that Vista really tends to eat up.
    Lighten up a little bit. There's a big difference between "bit**ing" and taking a bad experience and relating it in a light humorous way.

I've got a gig of ram in the computer and had a flash drive running on "ReadyBoost" or whatever the function name is. Almost all of the hardware scores well except for the graphics card which scores a 3 (nVidia GeForce Go 6150 with Shared Graphics Memory). If it was misconfigured by HP then so be it. I don't know what the problem was, but the problem is solved. I installed Ubuntu and everything works. Not being a zealot, it was just a solution that worked for me.

I know, but that's like saying 'my Chevy impala goes 0-60 in 9 seconds, but my Ford Focus maxes out at 32 MPH'... something is obviously wrong with the Ford (namely, Vista). I wouldn't go around telling everyone that Ford cars are incapable of breaching 32 MPH. Unless I was in a Chevy forum... never mind, you win.

Vista is not going to touch any of my home system without a VM and the only reason I even mess with vista is because at work the new machines we are getting will likely have vista. so I have to be familiar with it.

Thank goodness for VM's and on a related note any eye candy that Vista may offer I already have on my system because of Beryl.
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

I think everyone hates me now....

Look, I like Vista, I like Linux. I have had better luck with Linux servers than windows servers. I have had better luck with Windows for desktops and gaming. They both have their merits, regardless of how you look at it. I just hate having to deal with computer OS-ism.

Beast,

I understand how ya feel and I am all for using the best OS for the job. your doing
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

I think everyone hates me now....
    Nah, hate is pointless. I have to repeat that freedom of choice also means the freedom to choose Windows Vista if one wants to. I just don't get the point of choosing a DRMed system. My computer has to put my needs first and not those of the hardware and movie industry.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

By DRMed, you mean that the media files when imported through the media players contain DRM? Or the entire OS is DRMed? Because I dislike DRM as little as the next guy, but I am pretty sure that the lack of video and the FLAC-encoded audio on my computer leave me all but protected. Just wondering why you are calling it a "DRMed" system.

It's not just the media, but the software we buy (games) also.

What do you mean by DRMed? If you mean 'copy protected', I am totally OK with that. Except for prohibiting backups, the only thing 'no copy protection' does is take money away from where it's due (even if the games are overpriced, thats the price they ask, and if people buy at that price, congrats to the game designer; they probably made a good product). If you don't like it, don't buy it. But especially don't pirate it. Maybe that's just me though.

By DRMed, you mean that the media files when imported through the media players contain DRM? Or the entire OS is DRMed?
    The entire OS.

So far, DRM had one weak spot: while it was possible to create DRMed media files and DRMed players, the transmission to the end device was still unprotected. It was possible to buy one DRMed copy of a song, play it on your computer, catch the signal on its way to the speakers, and encode it back into a free OGG file. In order to prevent this, the solution lies in DRMed hardware in tune with a DRMed OS.

Currently Apple is the big player in the music market and Microsoft is nowhere to be found (like a lot lately), so Microsoft's idea of catching up was to get a foot in the door of the movie industry. The movie industry wants to sell high quality movies digitally and so does Microsoft. However, the movie industry wants their media files to be protected against piracy, so Microsoft agreed to implement DRM deep in their OS. Windows Vista is DRM ready for DRMed graphic cards, DRMed sound cards, and DRMed disc drives because without those, the movie industry weren't willing to publish their content on HD-DVD and BlueRay discs.

So now we're at the center of the problem:

1. For those who believe that Information should be free, any sort of DRM is offending.
    2. The development of DRM mechanisms results in higher costs for a product nobody wants.
    3. DRM slows down your computer and causes higher installation and maintenance costs (can you say "hardware upgrade"?).
    4. Since Linux and Mac computers run a lot of the same hardware like Windows boxes, the former two kinds may have to buy DRMed hardware in the future, too, and pay for it. Can you tell me the benefit of DRMed hardware in a Linux box? Unfortunately, this might not be the innocent "I just run Windows for myself and don't hurt anybody with it" anymore.
    5. DRM is a dead end because DRMed content can not be transfered to other systems unless the author lets you to. Who's telling you you're still running the same computer/TV set 20 years in the future? Right. Who will make sure that you still will be able to play the content you purchased today on your system in the future. We still have to find out.
    6. Last but not least there are signs of a trend in the market in the other direction. People think loudly about selling non-DRMed content; Apple's iTunes Plus is a step into this direction and it's soaring. If the market moves into the non-DRM segment, buyers of DRMed systems have thrown their money out the window.

For further information, refer to A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection.

As I said earlier, this one is not about hating you. However, I have explained why your attitude doesn't exactly trigger intense emotions of joy.
    Last edited by Parcival; 06-12-2007 at 07:59 AM.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I do not think Apple is all that innocent either as they attempt to lock market share also. Ever try to play your Itunes on linux without having to do things that might be considered to not be legal in some circles or how about playing your DVDs. oo right you can just play them on your windows or OSX box.I scraped the Ipod and no longer buy DVDs or Music cds in protest to DRM and think most people should boycott industry that infringe on your rights.
    I use windows too but just for gaming + Autocad no Linux alt. bummer in my book. Apple put a step in the right direction with no DRM tunes. I do purchase indie labels when I find things i like. Hmm Google new band finder for independents?? Id search, I think that Napster was heading for to this before the splat.
    Last edited by nikodell; 06-12-2007 at 09:59 AM.