Microsoft Vista Wow

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vista Wow

Microsoft Vista Wow

I got a new HP Pavilion tx1000 almost 2 months ago featuring Windows Vista.

I dropped the Ubuntu Live CD into the drive and was surprised to see that it ran faster from CD than Windows runs from hard drive.... WOW.

I downloaded Aptana IDE (Really nice web IDE for xhtml/javascript/ruby) and unzipped it using the software provided by both systems. Total unzip time (I used a stop watch)
    Linux 8 seconds
    Vista 11 MINUTES and change.... holly WOW

Vista can't seem to find most of my email addresses. They're in the address book, but they don't autocomplete and when I run a search for the address or person's name they just don't come up (and yes I can scroll down the list and find the person myself but that's just so 80's)... Wow

Vista uses 600 MB of RAM doing absolutely nothing.... WOW squared.

You see. They didn't lie when they said that Vista will make you go "WOW"...

The word vista makes me think of one of those narrow Eurapean roads that wind around through the mountains overlooking big cliffs. I'd say Microsoft went over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroLin
    You see. They didn't lie when they said that Vista will make you go "WOW"...
    At least you can't call it false advertising

I played with it for five minutes and I couldn't find any programs. I couldn't even find the calculator and had to do a search. It drove me crazy, in just 5 minutes WOW ! And they have the nerve to say others are copying there code?? Why would someone want to copy broken code??
    My Systems:
    Custom Desktop: Kubuntu 8.04.1 x86 + 2.6.24 kernel
    Thinkpad T61p: Debian SID x64 + 2.6.26 kernel

Take a look on this document from FSF's Bad Vista campaign:

Among other things, they say that:

They want you to buy new hardware not because you need it, but because your computer needs it in order to be more effective at restricting what you do.
    And that's the answer for your:

Vista uses 600 MB of RAM doing absolutely nothing.... WOW squared.

I recently installed Vista on a Dell GX520 on a project box at work. I like it OK so far. I have AVG running, and folding@home, and the sidebar with a couple of gadgets, and Firefox and task manager tells me it's only using about 480MB of memory.

I like having a Services tab in the Task Manager. The Computer Management MMC console has extra features in it now also.

This computer only rates a 2.0 on the Vista Experience rating thingy. But, that's because of the integrated video with only 8MB of shared memory!

I clicked on the button that used be the Start button and clicked on Programs / Accessories and there was the Calculator where it's always been.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, the guy next to me keeps saying, "Damn Vista!" "Dang it Vista!" "Crap... Stupid Vista."
    Last edited by bs_texas; 06-06-2007 at 11:57 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

A really pretty female student came in not so long ago with her new laptop. She needed help with the WEP key to get in the college network. I dare say getting to wireless settings was easier than I recall it being on XP. The glassy translucent effect on windows and menus also gave it that spruced up new look.
    I suspect that for Microsoft's next Windows release, you won't even have to know how to read to use it.
    Linux user #367409

Quote Originally Posted by infiniphunk
    I suspect that for Microsoft's next Windows release, you won't even have to know how to read to use it.
    For the next Windows release, you will probably be able to refer directly to the OS X manual.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    For the next Windows release, you will probably be able to refer directly to the OS X manual.
    Once again:

V - Very
    I - Interesting
    S - Similiarites
    T - To
    A - Apple
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Slow and driverless

I gave Vista a try and found it slow and it had a great lack of drivers just like XP64 has a great lack in that area.
    So to do everything in Windoze you need all 3 versions XP"printing scanning tvcard" XP64"better with games" VISTA "slow eye candy"
    How much GB will that take up?
    Last edited by nikodell; 06-07-2007 at 04:21 PM.

My wife's new Acer laptop had it preloaded. She likes it, and she's seriously pc-challenged, so I think there's a market for it. It has pretty icons

Yes most of the challenged I know want it. My school is recommending that students stay away from Vista as there have been problems with data loss. They recommend if you have to use it to all ways save to external media and ftp file serve.

Quote Originally Posted by funnybug
    My wife's new Acer laptop had it preloaded. She likes it, and she's seriously pc-challenged, so I think there's a market for it. It has pretty icons
    Even if a user happens to like the Vista experience, there's no reason to shackle and slow one's computer with the built in DRM. Reasons why can be found here and here.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

If its a matter of them liking the look, don't forget its possible to make linux look a bit like vista, although the issues asarch highlighted from GNU website is obviously more important.

I downloaded Aptana IDE (Really nice web IDE for xhtml/javascript/ruby) and unzipped it using the software provided by both systems. Total unzip time (I used a stop watch)
    Linux 8 seconds
    Vista 11 MINUTES and change.... holly WOW
    While I can imagine the other points you mentioned, this simply isn't possible. I'm not advocating Vista or anything, but you must've done something wrong there. That's simply not possible, IMHO.
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Write for the LNO magazine!
    Catalogued Collection of Annotated Examples - CodeExamples.org
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - definitely read this