Microsoft Vista Wow - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vista Wow

Haha, I can't say haven't had similar experiences.

I won't keep resurrecting this argument again and again. I promise, I'm not a troll (am more of a very-occasional-lurker here lately), I just wanted to hear some more opinions on this. Just some stuff for me (maybe you, who knows) to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by nikodell
    I do not think Apple is all that innocent either as they attempt to lock market share also.
    That's right, Apple isn't innocent either, as they are also selling DRMed content. On the other hand, they use open standards and give back to the community when they continue development in OSS. Microsoft, on the other hand, tries to push through its very own standard of everything. In this context, Apple hardware and software is at least some compromise between open and closed.

Finally, Apple is the perfect example to demonstrate the power of the customer. There are large groups of Apple users in Europe who boycott DRMed songs in the iTunes Music Store while iTunes Plus is soaring. Apple TV is a dead fish in Europe because it doesn't let you record TV shows on your own. The Apple manager who believed customers would buy an extra piece of pricey equipment just to watch DRMed content obviously was wrong.

BTW, my itunes library plays nicely on XMMS in Linux as I kept it free of DRMed songs.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

the simple fact is that people are naturally afraid of something new.
    Of course VISTA gets loads of new "toys" and "locks" on the user supposed to make life easier but it does the very opposite.

So when someone gets to know vista a bit they respond with "ya, its ok but i wish it was more like xxx or xxx"

Same with Linux. I KNOW linux. YOU know linux. Most the people on thes e forums KNOW linux but the average PC user has no darn clue what linux is.

This is where microsoft gains a step with their Marketing Bullcrap.

I agree with Vista = Very interesting similarities to apple

I used to have a Mac ibook and really enjoyed using OS X. its just a smart OS in that i mean the design is smart and thats fine cause we can all sorta "copy" the design features.

This is where Linux shines and sorta acts like the copycat kid on the block.

Did we forget that linux itself is a fork cause linus needed an OS to work with at home? (Check your facts).

a simple scenario:
    Just the other day my internet was out and we had a power outage so my windows partition got fried. I started hunting my linux distro collection trying to decide what (a) will work easily with my atheros wifi card - and (b) has good package management system. So i figured i'd try PCLinuxOS 2007 since it has RPM(apt) and i sorta like it. I must have booted about 7 times again and again with either "the source cd cannot be found" or X just wont start and it keeps throwing me on the CLI instead of loading X. a bug surely and i just need to research it but if i didnt have the knowledge and know-how i couldnt have done so.

Never-ending is the name of the game and we can all just sit here and argue on and on and on but whats the use? Linux is great. lets keep using it. Vista/Windows is good for people that dont know better and need to be spoon fed.

just my .02 cents.

I saw vista. It was pretty. It was on a top of the line Dell laptop. It was slower than windows XP on my aunts 128MB ram laptop.
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor

About the Vista "look"...yep, even the downloadable distros or
    ones from Linux mags (like a recent ed. of PC linux)feature a
    Vista translucent look, for a LOT less than a Vista upgrade. They're
    a great way to innoculate yourself against a Vista Eye-Candy Need!!

Augh. Darn it. I meant that a recent issue of Linux FORMAT featured
    such a Vista-styled distro.

Quote Originally Posted by robagen
    Augh. Darn it. I meant that a recent issue of Linux FORMAT featured
    such a Vista-styled distro.
    Perhaps you meant that Vista was styled after other distros?
    Compiz and transparent terminals were around long before Fista....
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Gotta join in this one!

Originally posted by Ludootje:
    While I can imagine the other points you mentioned, this simply isn't possible. I'm not advocating Vista or anything, but you must've done something wrong there. That's simply not possible, IMHO.
    Have you tried starting Midnight Commander as root these days without having working DNS? I really don't know what it is, but I'm not the only person having the problem that as a user it will work fine, but as root it takes bloody ages. Start Bind9 and it starts up instantly.

Anyway, the media are not referring to Vista as "The Longest Suicide Note In History" for no reason whatsoever. I believe that Microsoft are now on a downward spiral because of the DRM that they've been forced to inject into Vista. I, for one, will certainly not touch it with a barge pole (I'm happy with Linux, thank you), but I find it suspicious that it's only just out and they're already trying to bin XP.

Microsoft never managed to get XP working properly - the huge number of patches and viruses still available are testament to that - but they are trying to force users into DRM that we simply do not want.

Personally, I think that Ubuntu or Kubuntu might be the next successor to the Microsoft throne, but that is simply based on the amount of work that the developers have put into it to try and make it a home-user efficient environment. The reports are generally very good. I must admit that I have never tried it personally.

Anyway, my 2 pennies worth added: I think the year of "Linux on the desktop" is getting nearer...

At least I hope so.

James

EDIT: Missed 2 pages of posts - if Linux ever has to fall under the auspices of DRM technology (like the newer motherboards coming out now) I will stop using computers.
    Last edited by Satanic Atheist; 07-22-2007 at 09:08 PM.
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

I was in a chat with someone using Ubuntu the other day, and I mentioned Linux getting a much larger market share that it currently has over the next few years, and they said "No way! Not in a million years." They dual boot Windows. Then he started on a rant about elitest Linux users, so I left the chat right quick. I wasn't in a mood to even read anything he had to say.

I'm just glad I found that I'm not the only one that thinks so after having seen Vista. I didn't, think it was because of the DRM though, I thought it was because of the everchanging way of things. When XP came out, it took a long time for people to get used to the things moving around, like msconfig instead of a tab in the System Infomation dialogue. But DRM sucks too :P

P.S.
    I think that corporations will like Vista due to DRM. Keeping employees from downloading illegal, virus infested, copyrighted, material and playing it...for a little while anyway.

P.S.S.
    ...I need to install Firefox 2. I need my form as-you-type spell checker

P.S.S.S.
    I asked the friedn who had Vista installed and he had upgraded a pre-Vista machine that was capable of running it. He went back to XP due to speed issues. He hates Vista.
    Last edited by acid45; 07-23-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor

Regarding DRM:

http://xkcd.com/129/

Originally posted by bwkaz:
    Regarding DRM:

http://xkcd.com/129/
    Where the HELL do you surf man???

James
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

I worked with a for while in a shop (fixing pc's with windoze) and now I have no intention of going anyway near Vista its bollocks - give me linux any day - Harddened linux fan

Fruitbat

Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Atheist
    Where the HELL do you surf man???
    Not quite sure if this is what you meant, but I found xkcd via UserFriendly several months ago, and found that particular comic in its archives when I read through them.

I laughed so hard at this one my eyes were bloodshot the rest of the night:
    http://xkcd.com/272/
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS