Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Yes it was quite a battle but in the end Ubuntu and Vista lost out to Sabayon! Long live the victor.

ed

That just means you're only one step away from gentoo
    /me runs away
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Lets just say I got the **** meal along with the **** dessert and I could not be happier!

ed

What the hell is Sabyon? I just noticed it today for the first time in distrowatch's weekly ranking, surprisingly high up for something I never heard of before. I get the feeling it's coming out of nowhere. Is this the next Ubuntu?

Nah, sabayon is mainly a spanish language distro based on gentoo, only its installation is easier, or so I hear...never tried it.

--Andrew Morton on RMS

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/ You will find a lot of information in the wiki, and the forum. Sabayon Linux is Italian I believe. But the most important ingredient is the Gentoo base emerge/portage system.

ed

I get the feeling it's coming out of nowhere. Is this the next Ubuntu?" Not coming out of nowhere but rather Gentoo. Is it the next Ubuntu? No It is simply Sabayon

ed

I pretty much doubt Ubuntu can move anywhere but up. I know what I'm talking because 6 months ago I detested this distro. Now is my distro of choice.
    As for Sabayon, god speed! What can I say. And don't wave Vista farewell,at least not yet. It's here to stay whether we want or not.
    Registered Linux User #314213

Vista may be here to stay, but I know where I work, IS maintains maybe 500 boxes besides servers, in 4 different locations. They'er not going to use Vista for as long as they can, infact they will not buy anymore boxes from a vender Dell or Gateway because they have Vista preinstalled. They build all the boxes now, so they can stay with win-xp or win-2000. To bad they don't go over to linux, but I doubt that will happen any time soon, if ever. The Admin sees Vista as just eye candy, and it would take thousands to upgrade all the system to run it.

Somebody HAS to make Gentoo easier to install. Perhaps Sabayon is the distro to do this.

I've given Gentoo a shot. The time and effort for what little return is not worth it. There are tons of distros that can do the same without all the effort Gentoo requires.

No sir! Gentoo is not for me. Plain and simple. Its like buying all the parts to build your own auto. Why the hell do that? And the benefits and not worth itl.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Quote Originally Posted by loopback48
    Its like buying all the parts to build your own auto. Why the hell do that? And the benefits and not worth itl.
    That's a good analogy. Imagine the auto you could design and build if all the parts were free...
    If it's not for you, then so what? Use something else that suits you.

--Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by loopback48
    Somebody HAS to make Gentoo easier to install. Perhaps Sabayon is the distro to do this.

I've given Gentoo a shot. The time and effort for what little return is not worth it. There are tons of distros that can do the same without all the effort Gentoo requires.

No sir! Gentoo is not for me. Plain and simple. Its like buying all the parts to build your own auto. Why the hell do that? And the benefits and not worth itl.
    Are you sure? Yesterday, I noticed this in summary of the top ten distros that I cited elsewhere:

Gentoo Linux was designed for power users. Originally, the installation was cumbersome and tedious, requiring hours or even days of compiling on the command line to build a complete Linux distribution; however, in 2006 the project simplified the installation procedure by developing an installable Gentoo live CD with a point-and-click installer.
    So maybe it's Gentoo that will make Gentoo easier to install.

Sabyon is currently number eight in distrowatch's list, that's really impressive for a distro that I'd never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    Imagine the auto you could design and build if all the parts were free...
    I'm imagining a car that doesn't work very well.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 04-29-2007 at 05:32 PM.

That's funny...I'm imagining one of these:
    http://www.atspeedimages.com/pebble_...i_enzo_red.jpg

or at least one of these:
    http://asdaa.net/mag/5ra2eb/car2/normal_ricer.jpg

--Andrew Morton on RMS

If Gentoo were easy, it would take the whole fun out of it.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    If Gentoo were easy, it would take the whole fun out of it.
    agreed

Its like buying all the parts to build your own auto. Why the hell do that? And the benefits and not worth itl.
    Cos i want a car that kicks ***? http://www.hotrod.com/
    Sadly though... Its illegal for me to hotrod a car where I stay...

The same goes for my desktop, putting the hardware and software together give joy.
    Registered Linux User #388117