I'm less productive in Linux than I was in Windows

Thread: I'm less productive in Linux than I was in Windows

I'm less productive in Linux than I was in Windows

I've been using Linux exclusively for a few years now, and when I want to automate something, do batch processing or data crunching, or code small apps, I am very productive in Linux.

However, I've recently gotten back into web design, graphic design and working with images. On Windows, I used to drag and drop a lot, and the desktop was very functional and robust. Now I am using Xfce4 with Rox-filer and gFTP. gFTP is hedious and doesn't support drag and drop, and it constantly asks me if I want to overwrite or not.

Without going to Gnome or KDE, what can I do to become more productive in Linux? I'm content with Linux in every other area. I'm currently downloading CrossFTP, and I'm still on the lookout for a GUI editor with vim support, tabs and a file tree.

Any suggestions on apps would be appreciated. Thank you!

I used to drag and drop a lot, and the desktop was very functional and robust. Now I am using Xfce4 with Rox-filer and gFTP.
    You could use rox-filer (or the fast and tabbed pcmanfm) along with CurlFtpFS (info in the gentoo wiki), or some other FTP-FUSE filesystem. This should allow you to drag and drop stuff in FTP servers like KDE/konqueror, but with any file manager.

I'm content with Linux in every other area. I'm currently downloading CrossFTP, and I'm still on the lookout for a GUI editor with vim support, tabs and a file tree.
    Did you already know about GVIM and not like it? It does have tabs, and I suppose there should be a plugin that puts the :Explore file tree in a side pane in a more intuitive way (instead of having to split the window and stuff).
    Last edited by xrx; 06-17-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by movEAX_444
    Without going to Gnome or KDE, what can I do to become more productive in Linux?
    Maybe you already know this and don't even want to install them, but you can use KDE and Gnome apps in XFCE. I use KMail and Konqueror under Fluxbox all the time. I also use KDevelop for dev work, so that might be worth a look for your editor.

Good tip

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Maybe you already know this and don't even want to install them, but you can use KDE and Gnome apps in XFCE. I use KMail and Konqueror under Fluxbox all the time. I also use KDevelop for dev work, so that might be worth a look for your editor.
    I actually use KDE more often than not, but for quite a while I used XFCE and liked it a lot. Even when using XFCE, like you, I frequently invoked KDE apps, particularly k3b and Konqueror. The overhead of starting them up without KDE, however, led me to incur the login overhead of KDE. Once logged in, I find KDE to be quite acceptable, even with its fairly large footprint. On a Dell Dimension 4100, which is a 996 MHz box that is at least six, almost seven years old, KDE is still acceptable. On faster boxes, its convenience definitely outweighs its overhead.

That said, using a drag and drop FTP client along with a lightweight file manager ought to do the job and spare you the overhead, if that is what you prefer.
    Brian W. Masinick
    Masinick at Yahoo Dot Com

Web dev

I'm taking a web dev class now and I've been working on Linux.

Aptana is a great web IDE: www.aptana.com/
    Filezilla (FTP) (it was in the Ubuntu repository, but I'm sure you can find it if you google it).

I am using an XFCE session running with Sidux, a Debian Sid based distribution, and I am using it with a HP 2.7 GHz desktop system with 1 GB RAM instead of my Dell Dimension 4100, a 996 MHz system with 256 MB RAM. Either one of them functions fine, but what a difference! XFCE is downright snappy on the newer HP!
    Brian W. Masinick
    Masinick at Yahoo Dot Com