Help me create the perfect Window/Desktop, thanx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me create the perfect Window/Desktop, thanx!

Help me create the perfect Window/Desktop, thanx!

Hi, it's been 24hrs since I've installed xubuntu in my computer, because I hear it runs fast. At first I was amazed by the sudo apt-get install technique, then spent a lot of time trying to extract .rar, play an mp3 and make java and flashplayer work. Then I got tired and googled about xfce, then I read the comparison page from wiki that xfce was not for newbs like myself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...p_environments

Now I want KDE but I don't have a good computer. 1.1Duron, 256mb generic ram, 64vram NVIDIA. Will I migrate to KDE?(how do I do that?) Or maybe customize xfce.

I'm a C programmer but not pro, music person+mp3Download, crunchyroll+youtube, I like games like rpg(FF7,breath of fire 3)+civilization, might and magic series+racing. What programs should I install?
    1. Perfect C/C++ IDE
    2. Music lib, player, dvd
    3. Games! Any good online games?
    4. Desktop

Can anyone help me make the perfect Xubuntu setup? Thanks!

I'm running a PIII dual 750 + 768mg ram with Debian Sarge with Gnome windows manager and it's not to bad. I also have a PI 233 laptop I'm running Slackware 10.1 with Fluxbox for the WM, it's not fast at all but it works. You may want to give Ubuntu a try, it uses Gnome for a WM but should work fine with the specs of your system.

For programming in C install the gcc compiler and you can use what ever editor you like I am using pico on my laptop, nano I think is pre-installed on Ubuntu which is about the same as pico. (both are good)

As for the DVD and music stuff there is a program called Automatrix I thing, that has a list of programs it will install that was written for Ubuntu. Just do a search and you will find tons of info on it.

Can anyone help me make the perfect Xubuntu setup?
    Whats perfect for me may not be perfect for you, and vice/versa.

thirdy, while your machine is not a powerhouse by any means, you should be able to run KDE. It will, more than likely, be slow, but run she will. If you get it installed and like what you see, it might make you go out and purchase another stick of ram. With a over 1Gh CPU on your PC, 512 M of ram should do nicely.

Now as to how to install KDE on your system. If you downloaded and burned a Xbuntu disk, you should be able to do the same with Kubuntu. Might keep that in mind. If not, open synaptic (Desktop> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager) and do a search for KDE. Install and away you go.

By the way the suggestion to install Automatix2 is a good suggestion. Do a google.com/linux search for getautomatix.com Its got scripts for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mepis as well a Debian/Etch.

Some die hards don't like it because they say you don't 'learn' Linux. Well, what rot. My take on this is, get a system installed and running and you'll learn it one way or another, depending on you.

By the way, my first foray into Linux was with a 550/PIII with 256 ram and a Nvidia32ram card. Made a big difference when I added an extra stick of ram bumping it to 384. For getting your feet wet, your machine will do nicely. Just add some ram.

Anyway, good luck.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Talking Let's make the perfect guide, where no one gets annoyed

Ok here's what I did (someone in #ubuntu told me),
    1. sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
    2. reboot
    3. sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

Now there's a problem, sometimes when booting into kubuntu it does not show anything, but it does respond to ctrl+alt+F2, but that doesn't help a newbie like me.
    And now I see two linux kernels, one has a xubuntu boot screen img while the other has kubuntu boot screen img.

Just now I got really annoyed playing a dvd, sudo apt-get install every gstreamer and the ffmpeg something, but nothing happened to Kaffeine. And I did my last resort, VLC, but VLC is not stable and has annoying UI.

I installed KDE because I here it has the best programs, but it's not, kubuntu is. At least right now I don't have kdevelop(it didn't run in alt+F2). And now I see OpenOffice which I don't really need, I used wordpad in xp because MS office starts really sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww. Ok, let me see open office, I give it three o's(slooow). Kate is nice and kind, mousepad is like the real mouse when you chase them.

Bro's and Sis, let's make a site where newbies can smile=), a perfect site where you can get all the sudo apt-get install <enter keyword>, (the first thing I liked in linux is mr.sudo, fastest way and (for me) easiest! Forget slow and bughive installs in xp) a guide from an xp computer to a satified happy linux super computer.

Hope someone likes my idea=)
    -Thirdy
    -www.thirdy.co.nr

Easy...

I am using a 1.1 Duron machine with 370megs of ram, and a very naff 4 bit graphics card. It works fine, runs kde and will do most of Beryl/Compriz.

Perhaps stuff in another stick of ram? Makes it work better.

As mentioned above the Synaptic package manager is your friend.
    In administration find the Synaptic package manager. Search for kubuntu and select all the relevant packages. Install.

Automatix from www.automatix.com solves the codec problem.

Fonts may look bad in Kubuntu. Search www.google.com/linux for "ubuntu +fonts" for the fix. In Kcontol mark "Use anti-aliasing for fonts in Desktop/Fonts" and perhaps fonts
    Sans Serif 10 (Desktop + 11)

Beryl ???? Do a a search on youtube to see what this is about. You will need more memory. Most of it works on my machine. Synaptic will install it for you.

For a perfect setup tinker and make a note of your perfect settings and adjustments.

Enjoy,

Phil

Where's my last post? Is there a prob with these forum?

I wished I configured Klipper earlier

Ok I'll just make it again.......

Here's what I did,
    1 sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
    2. reboot
    3. sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

Here's what's new
    1. two new choices in GRUB, identical to the two ubuntu choices only the version is different.(which is not got for newbies, makes me wanna uninstall the previous one)
    2. sometimes when booting in linux it doesn't show anything, but ctrl+alt+F2 responds, but that doesn't really help newbies like me.
    3. the boot screen is diff for each ubuntu choice in grub (that's why I used the term linux earlier), one boot screen is kubuntu while the other one is xubuntu.

/*wikipedia somehow made me think that KDE has it all(mybe misread), but now I found out that kubuntu has it all, not kubuntu-desktop, ((alt+F2 + kdevelop) return nothing). I had to ask help from mr.sudo apt*/

I hear automatix2 is dangerous, at least that's wat ubontu(#ubuntu bot) said.

guys, check my page bout linux in my site
    www.thirdy.co.nr

Talking

thirdy, there come a time when starting from scratch is called for. Its a newbie's best friend. You might consider that. I have learned over the years that a fresh install (of Kubuntu in your case) is easier and quicker than shooting trouble. Especially if you have as many cases of trouble as you do.

Second, I'd think twice and three time before I do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. That can lead to trouble, as you've already found out. And as I've found out many years ago. Apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get clean should be all you need to keep your system up to date. Dist-upgrade is used mainly to go up to the next newer version and not necessary for your system.

I know this isn't an answer to your questions but a new install will take about 30/45 mins. How much time will you spend or have you spent on this?

P.S. Not shooting you down, just giving you the benefits of many years of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth. (I am now balded and toothless!)
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Haha, thanx!!! I've watch vids in youtube bout beryl and compiz, and wow, thats what you call xp==**** =) hehe //slipknot song "people=****"

Ok so if starting from scratch is not a good option, then how do I scratch kubuntu? And I want that beryl and compiz!!!!!!!!!! Is there a beryl lite? or something like dat.
    I now have 128mb NVIDIA video card! but still 1.1duron, 256ram

Can I really use beryl in my comp??

Wats the best Easy to use Open Source Website Manager? Any free hosts?

thirdy, forum rules dictate one case of trouble per post. Clear this one first. Might, and probably will, take care of all the others.

You must have misunderstood me. I say you SHOULD start from scratch. Download the Kubuntu ISO, burn it and start from the beginning.

Start with a fresh install. Get your system up and running. Until you do that no need to worry about 3D desktops.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

You don't need to move to kubuntu to get what you want.
    There is a tool called automatix to get the programs and codecs you need in ubuntu.
    The following address will show you the programs that automatix can install for you:
    http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.p...are_and_Tweaks
    and you will find it not so hard to install. Just follow the instructions provided in the website.
    Once you get those programs installed it wont make a big difference (well, probably in performance) if you use xfce, gnome or kde.

As you move on and understand how package management works in linux , you wont need automatix.

Good luck.