CD writing under Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn?

Thread: CD writing under Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn?

CD writing under Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn?

I installed Ubuntu last week, went pretty good, had a few problems that I solved by searching the net, but the last hurdle has me stumped.

I installed K3b and CDRSKIN and cannot write CDs. The computer reads CD's just fine, and I have ripped Music CD's just fine, but whenever I try to write a cd with CDcreator, Brasero or K3B (the main one I want to use), it says it's writing, but never actually does, instead just sits and never progresses.

Kind stumped at this point??

Just checking: you did the thing with the K3B setup utility, right?

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Just checking: you did the thing with the K3B setup utility, right?
    Not sure what you mean? I did make CDRskin the default writer if that's what you mean?

I've been working on it this morning and have been able to use K3B to write an .iso file to a CD and take MP3's and make a music CD, so I know the writer will work, but when I try to write a DATA CD, it doesn't write.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lappe
    Not sure what you mean? I did make CDRskin the default writer if that's what you mean?
    K3B comes with an additional setup program that has to be executed once to set the permissions straight. However, since you can write Music CDs and ISO files, this seems to be okay.

In this case I'm not a big help for you anymore, but if I were in your situation I would check next if the various filesystem types are enabled in your kernel.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Thanks, I'll check that!

On a second thought, you better check your list of packages again. Chances are high the kernel is okay, but you are just missing some package that is necessary for CD writing.

You could also start K3B in a terminal/shell and check the text output as you progress through the bruning process to see if there are any error messages that could help you.

How do I know what packages K3B needs and if they are there?

Well, the dependencies among the packages should automatically get resolved by the package manager. However, you may wanna doublecheck the list with Google.

OK thanks, I have found a sort of "work around" the problem, since K3B will write .iso files to CD, I made an .iso file with the data files in it and wrote it to CD and it worked.

Ain't the fastest way, but if all else fails it works!