Toshiba SD card

Thread: Toshiba SD card

Toshiba SD card

Hello, i have a laptop Toshiba Tecra A4, i plugged my SD card, and did
    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices and then fdisk -l but the SD card doesn't show up . do i have to do something to make the Laptop card reader to work?
    Or should i get a usb card reader?
    Best Regards
    M3rlin

Most card-reader devices don't emit hotplug-type events when a new card is inserted; even USB card readers don't do that. What might work (with a USB device) is to unplug it, then plug it back in with the card inserted, but that's a pain in the butt. (And it won't work with a built-in reader.)

I think there's something else you can do to prod some part of the kernel to make it re-discover the devices, though. I think HAL does this periodically as long as it's running, too -- if your distro has that package available. Otherwise it might work to try looking in /dev to see what sdXY devices are present; it may be that your card reader provides devices even when no cards are inserted.

Otherwise, I remember seeing a mention of how to prod the device somewhere, let me see if I can find it...

Ah yes: http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug-de...6804518275&w=2

Apparently it works to just open the /dev/sdX file (or /dev/disk/by-*/*, which is preferred) once in a while. According to that, it should work to "fdisk -l /dev/sdX", as that will open the file.

I never tried it on a SD card but I take it just a normal USB type device.

The method I get a distro to read a newly inserted USB device is just typing "fdisk -l" at the terminal and tap the direction key a few times to repeat the command.

I found modern kernels seem to load the USB device quickly after a few tabs, say 2 to 4 times. Some distros, like Slax for example, can be so quick that USB files pop up in the desktop before my finger reaches the key in the first tap.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

check output of lspci

For example mine shows:
    Code:
    04:00.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 13)
    So i have a ricoh SD reader and it works with sdhci module (which is included in kernel):
    http://mmc.drzeus.cx/wiki/Linux/Drivers/sdhci

It's not automatically loaded so I modprobe mmc_block (and add mmc_block to /etc/modules if i want to have it loaded on every boot), which also loads the rest of necessary modules (sdhci and mmc_core).

Code:
    ladoga@x41:~$ lsmod | grep mmc_block
    mmc_block               6536  0 
    mmc_core               20692  2 mmc_block,sdhci
    Now when i insert SD card into reader it appears as /dev/mmcblk0p1 and can be mounted normally.
    ladoga

Hello, i have used the SD usb reade, and it worked perfectly, he detected has a external hard drive, on /dev/sdb1
    :P
    M3rlin