No sound from DL'ed youtube files

Thread: No sound from DL'ed youtube files

No sound from DL'ed youtube files

I DL'ed a few music instruction videos from youtube via youtubex.com to save and study. The video portion of the flv files play normally on the 2 media players (Xfmedia and Gxine Movie Player) that came with my Xubuntu distro, but there's no audio, which (of course) make them useless to me.
    Is there a simple way to remedy this problem? If not, can someone recommend another player to try? Thank you for your help.

What about the VLC player, it works in both win and linux.
    In gnome ( ubuntu ) totem is chosen by default as the flv player and I have not had any issues.
    A few months ago I even found that it was very easy to change a flv file into mpg in linux. I know this could be a different topic, I am just trying make my point about linux friendlyness towards this format.

I wish it helps.

Hi, Mike

I did some digging and arrived at the conclusion that I wasn't going to be able to solve the problem by locating some script and adding it to a bin file. I also became aware of some conversion software during my search, but I really didn't want to add that extra step unless necessary. VLC was one player that some people had success with, so I installed it via Synaptic. This was worse than either Xfmedia or Gxine - no sound OR video. I then installed Mplayer and found .flv happiness.

I wanted to avoid adding additional software. It's been my experience that such additions can lead to unintended and unwanted conflicts, but, well, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.