wireless NIC suggestion

Thread: wireless NIC suggestion

wireless NIC suggestion

Good day JLCers,

Need a suggestion on a pci wireless NIC for my desktop. I recently moved to Germany from the states and the house I am renting has one connection for a phone and DSL connection. The land lord is unwilling to allow me to add (even at my expense) another phone jack in the house in a more logical location then the one currently available. So I will be going completely wireless instead of having a bunch of cat5 cable running everywhere.

I have done various searches on here and google/linux, but have yet to turn up a simple answer for what wireless nic has the best native linux support. Since I haven't bought a card yet I figured I'd try to avoid the ndiswrapper route if I can. Also I like to support companies that support Linux.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

Cisco Aironet ... also I've several USB adapters that Just Work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was looking for something a little bit more on the home consumer side. $100+ for a wireless card is a bit high. I was hoping for a suggestion that wouldn't break the bank. How about d-link, netgear, linksys? Are any of these cards natively supported? Most of the searches results I came across had these cards running through ndiswrapper.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

Dunno, I've used the Cisco stuff here at work, and the cheap USB stuff at home... My USB adapter (forget model/make) is plug-n-play with Ubuntu 7.04...

Try checking the hardware howto?

It might help to look into the native drivers to see which chipsets they support and then go back to the NIC support pages to see the chipset used. I know I had a D-link B wifi card that was supported by the madwifi drivers and then a no-name G card that was also supported (Blitzz was the manufacturer).

EDIT: Link to madwifi supported cards: http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility
    Last edited by JayMan8081; 08-01-2007 at 09:39 AM.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Cool

I (briefly) had a little D-Link DWL-G122 usb model that used the Ralink driver, compiled just fine with Fedora Core 4, and set itself as "ra0" in the list (or was it "rausb0"?). Anyway, only took about ten minutes to download, compile, and use the thing.

Be sure to get one with a revision code of "B" or later. Earlier ones used a different chipset. Oh, and it only ran $30.00US when Office Max was having a sale, normally $49.99US.

My cousin now uses it on his WinXP laptop (boooo!), so I haven't tried it on the newer kernels, so I don't know if the Ralink drivers are built-in now or not.

banzai "make --dlink --work" kai
    "Mind you, I got to do the licking this time, so it wasn't too bad."
    - Jane Horrocks, The Guardian, 1995