Remembering mdwatts

Thread: Remembering mdwatts

Remembering mdwatts

Last year, it was suggested that we choose a time whereby we could all remember Mike, who died just before mid-night, August 25, 2004, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada [EDT]. I promised to post a reminder so we could have some lead-time for discussion, and here it is for those who are interested.
    open mind, open source, open cars

Registered Linux User 299372 http://counter.li.org

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    I can't believe it's been three years! He was always so helpful. I hate death and I especially hate it when it takes someone so bright.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Thanks gal, i may never need a reminder of his passing but I'm terrible with dates

Being that is on a Saturday this year I that time would be a very good time for everyone to give just a moment of their time in the memory of a great person.

Hmm, I was going to have myself a good Googling in his memory, but I think I'm going to be without internet that day.

A Good Memory

An unfortunate passing , but a good memory to have and share.
    I became good friends with Mike and I miss him here.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I hope we can keep the forum up the way he would have liked us to.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Yes, Mike's effort will never be forgotten. His example clearly goes to show just how much one person can actually do for an entire forum.

The only thing worse than death itself is untimely, unfair death.

I logged in and saw "mdwatts" and it put a little smile on my face. It's been a while since I saw his name on the forum. He was a good man, and very willing to help.

Can't believe it's already been three years.
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480

Yep Mike helped a lot. I remember when I first started hanging around here and learning linux. Lots of searches where mdwatts was the second post with good advice and simple answers.

Of course if you really want to blow your mind, some where in the forum is a post with his hard drive partitioning set up.

In honor of mdwatts

"search first then ask"
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

His handle is a familiar one, even to an infrequent poster like me.

Nice place you have here BTW...
    "Free-market capitalism is an oxymoron." And you can quote ME.
    If you have nothing to lose then there is no risk. Risk = ((Threat * Vulnerability) / Countermeasures) * Value
    HOWTO Block Google Spyware http://4crito.com/linux/tips/block_google.html - http://4crito.com/linux/tips/dblclick.txt
    HOWTO Setup F7 w/ AMD64 CPU and nVidia GPU http://4crito.com/linux/tips/f7tips.html
    SAVE LIVES, Make Alcohol Use Illegal http://drbenkim.com/ten-most-dangerous-drugs.html

Unlike most of my preposters I don't feel like "oh, it's already been three years?". For me, it starts to feel like an eternity because everyday without mdwatts could have been a better day with mdwatts.

I have set my agenda to remind me of his death day, so I always give him a couple minutes of thought on that occasion. However, most of the time I think of him when I simply stumble upon his posts here in the forum. In the moderators' subforum, his modding howto still is THE sticky thread and it always will be.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

A quiet remembrance of Mike, who left this world three years ago at approximately this time. We miss you, Mike.
    open mind, open source, open cars

Registered Linux User 299372 http://counter.li.org

I too always appreciated Mike. He was a good man and helped more people than I'm sure he ever could have realized. Now these few years later, I still haven't come anywhere close to learning what he knew. He had probably forgotten more than I've learned yet. I'll admit that I don't spend as much time 'tinkering' with Linux as I used to. My little home server (Mandrake 10.0) works well and I haven't any problems using SuSE on a fairly regular basis. I get weary of constantly trying to learn. Remembering MDWATTS makes me feel ashamed to have gotten complacent and somewhat apathetic.

God Bless the open source community, and God Bless Mike's memory. I miss him dearly.

I'm a little late, but I guess better late than never. Mike was an awesome contributor to this site and he'll never be forgotten. He helped a lot of newbies get over the Linux hurdle and his efforts have not gone unnoticed. His dedication was amazing and thanks to him, hundreds of Linux newbies have been able to continue learning and helping others. Truly one of the best members here who exemplified what it meant to share knowledge to those who craved it.

Quote Originally Posted by X_console
    I'm a little late, but I guess better late than never. Mike was an awesome contributor to this site and he'll never be forgotten. He helped a lot of newbies get over the Linux hurdle and his efforts have not gone unnoticed. His dedication was amazing and thanks to him, hundreds of Linux newbies have been able to continue learning and helping others. Truly one of the best members here who exemplified what it meant to share knowledge to those who craved it.
    Well said.