The real reason for ctrl-alt-del to login on Windows

Thread: The real reason for ctrl-alt-del to login on Windows

The real reason for ctrl-alt-del to login on Windows

It's a huge conspiracy to annoy Linux users!

Actually, it's a sad statement of how much I have to use Windows at work. I'm so used to ctrl-alt-deleting before I type in my username and password that I just did it at home after a reboot (removed a drive) and naturally rebooted again. I need to start lobbying to see if I can get Linux on my desktop at work. There's nothing I do that it can't handle, better than Windows in most cases.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my semi-amusing act of MS-induced stupidity to brighten your day.

I carry a pen drive that has 7 Linux Live Cd distros inside. When I need a an injection of Linux at work I reboot my Xp machine and boot up my pen drive. It is more refreshing than a cup of coffee.

MS Windows doesn't bother me much because I could carry as much Linux as I want in a USB hard disk, a pen drive or a RW DVD. We can mount the Windows partitions to read them and write them as we please.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    At my work, we have Sysadmins, like me, that boot to Linux and then run Win XP from a VMware virtual machine, just because of work stuff. Just a thought.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    MS Windows doesn't bother me much because I could carry as much Linux as I want in a USB hard disk, a pen drive or a RW DVD. We can mount the Windows partitions to read them and write them as we please.
    I must have missed some news; since when is it possible to fully access NTFS partitions?

Edit:
    Forgot what I wanted to say concerning the original post. Read somewhere that Ctrl+Alt+Del at login is supposed to be some "protection mechanism" hindering crackers to enter your box.
    Last edited by Parcival; 08-17-2007 at 02:36 PM.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    Read somewhere that Ctrl+Alt+Del at login is supposed to be some "protection mechanism" hindering crackers to enter your box.
    This is correct. It's a hold over from the old days of NT4. In old consumer versions like Win95 and 98, the three finger salute had very different behavior.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Parcival,

Are you not happy with ntfs-3g?

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by klackenfus
    At my work, we have Sysadmins, like me, that boot to Linux and then run Win XP from a VMware virtual machine, just because of work stuff. Just a thought.
    Yeah, there are people in my department that do something similar, although I think they're just VNCing into Windows and they're running on AIX I think. I need to investigate this further when I get a manager again (been without for 3 or 4 months now).

I just brought my own system into work... I should have a supported Linux box loaded and configured the way I want in another month or two!
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    Are you not happy with ntfs-3g?
    Never heard of it before, obviously I did miss the news.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

The ntfs-3g is shipped with many distros now and has been regarded stable and reliable for "writing" on ntfs partitions.

If you download the current version of Slax you will find the ntfs partitions are automounted and you can do drag and drop in the desktop without knowing anything about ntfs-3g. Most distros require you to mount it though with filing type "ntfs-3g".