Quotes - Just for fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quotes - Just for fun.

Quotes - Just for fun.

Saw this recently:
    "On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Hmmmmm....

No more insightful quotes out there?

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
    -- Albert Einstein
    Last edited by bs_texas; 08-31-2007 at 03:57 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    - Mark Twain

Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made
    of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts
    is not necessarily science.
    -- Henri Poincaire

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor
    to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
    ignores the fact that it was he, who by peddling second-rate
    technology, led them into it in the first place."

--- Douglas Adams, author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

"Quotes"..........

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
    will make violent revolution inevitable.
    -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

One of my favs...

"In the end it is the small acts of selfless kindness we are remembered for." - My Grandmother Irene
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

I'll take a twist on this and leave out the author of it... see if you can find it or reconize it(some may have even come from this forum)!

When I was a boy I was told anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it.

Most of the basic truths of life sound absurd at first hearing.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.

They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad to realize that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days.

The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.

How does a project get to be a year behind schedule? One day at a time.

We are what we repeatedly do.

Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it.

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.

I don't have a bank accout, because I don't know my mother;s maiden name.

The best defense against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.

Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.

The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them.

You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.

The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything save our modes of thinking and we thus drift toward unparalledled catastrophe.

The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go to erase it.

There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.

Success isn't measured by how high you fly: Success is measured by how high you bounce!

2 is an odd prime number, because all other prime numbers are odd.

Mondays are about as exciting as watching someone blow away cute, fluffy bunny babies point-blank with a shotgun... and yes I do like bunnies.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

I equivocate, therefore I might be.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It is the transition that is troublesome.

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty

All three quotes from Sir Winston Churchill

~~~~~~~~~~~

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.

I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

No man is above the law, and no man is below it.

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything

The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer.

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

The best leader is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.

the above are from Teddy Rosevelt
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

Ooh Quotes!

I haven't been around much. I've been deeply involved in the grassroots campaign of Ron Paul, and it's taking up all my extra time. Here's why:

"The obligations of our representatives in Washington are to protect our liberty, not coddle the world, precipitating no-win wars, while bringing bankruptcy and economic turmoil to our people. "

"When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads."

"I am absolutely opposed to a national ID card. This is a total contradiction of what a free society is all about. The purpose of government is to protect the secrecy and the privacy of all individuals, not the secrecy of government. We don't need a national ID card."

"I am just absolutely convinced that the best formula for giving us peace and preserving the American way of life is freedom, limited government, and minding our own business overseas."

You guys should take a good hard look at this candidate, and the message he promotes.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

I have and he's really a republican in name only, he's a libertarian. If he ends up as the Republican candidate for President or even an Independent he'll get my vote.
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

Dang... Start another thread.

My thread has "Just for fun" as part of the title.

-------------
    Folding is Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Gallienus
    I have and he's really a republican in name only, he's a libertarian. If he ends up as the Republican candidate for President or even an Independent he'll get my vote.

Yeah, he has to run as the republican nominee in the general election or not at all. So he really needs your vote in the primary, not just the general election. I know how you may feel about registering republican, but that's what you have to do to vote in the GOP's primary in many states.

What is really pissing me off about this whole situation is how much pressure Ron Paul getting from own side. The neocons really dislike him. He's going to take away their money, their war, and their military industrial complex. However, in a general election there's no democrat on the ticket who can beat him. Hillary or Obama will wipe the floor with every other republican candidate. As a matter of fact, the libertarian party isn't going to run a candidate if Ron Paul gets the nomination! The libertarian and constitution party have already endorsed Ron Paul.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Hey you thread jacker.....

Start your own thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
    Folding is Fun

Let get back to the thread: [Quotes-Just for Fun. Please leave the politics to another post.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Instead of politics in a fun quote thread, how about some fun quotes on politics?

poly-
    pref.
    More than one; many; much

tick
    n.
    Any of numerous small bloodsucking parasitic arachnids ... many of which transmit febrile diseases
    Both from dictionary.com.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.