Getting Dell WLAN 1390 to work in Ubuntu

Thread: Getting Dell WLAN 1390 to work in Ubuntu

Getting Dell WLAN 1390 to work in Ubuntu

I just installed Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron E1505/6400. It works good. However, I am trying to get my wireless card to work, but I'm having no luck. I started with ndiswrapper, and in trying to get it to work, I realized that the console in Ubuntu to give me super user status. So I have to get that working to be able to manipulate the drivers the way I need to. Does anybody have any suggestions beside ndiswrapper? madwifi has been suggested but I can't figure it out. So, I'd be glad to get any help. Thanks.

first things first...set a root password like:

$ sudo passwd

then if you can install madwifi, just "modprobe ath_pci" and the interface should then be working.
    whether or not madwifi will work or not depends on the chipset of your wireless card.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I haven't figured out yet how to set the root password. I thought it was the administrator password for my login. I have only used a knoppix livecd for anything so far, so I havent been able to find how to do that. After browsing around, it looks like my broadcom chipset isnt favored by linux. So are there alternate ways?

Could you post your lspci output with regards to your wireless card chipset? I have a suspicion that I have the same or a similar chipset as yours.
    Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
    If that's the one you have or similar, go grab the latest ndiswrapper, the most updated windows driver and a bucket load of patience. Here is the link you require - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Docs%2FDriver)

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org