Can anyone recommend a good mp3 player for Linux?

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good mp3 player for Linux?

Can anyone recommend a good mp3 player for Linux?

I need a graduation gift for a Linux user nephew and I think a nice mp3 or ogg player would fit the bill. (A carry around player, not a computer XMMS type, that is.)

Not an IPOD for various reasons, including the suspicion that Apple would be a much worse Microsoft than Microsoft, given the chance.

On occasion, I have seen news items saying that this player or that one is much better than Apple's gadget if people would just get over the fad value. But, since that item is not in my line, I didn't pay attention. Naturally, now that I need the info, I can't find it. Googling gets lots of hits, but so far not much in the way of Linux friendly hardware. Or rather, info that this or that is a really good player that works with Linux.

Thanks
    Konan

Check out http://www.iriver.com. I believe they will have what you are looking for and I know they support the .ogg format. Not very many players do. Check newegg.com, tigerdirect.com and amazon.com for prices. Looks like they about the same as most MP3 players on the market.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

I have a nice walkman type cd player that happens to play MP3 burned onto CD. Long file names aren't an issue iwth it, and I can get about 10 hours of music on one CD, and a set of AA batteries lasts about 16 hours non-stop.

Still looking.

But after quite a bit of research, I think a Ogg Vorbis player would be better for several reasons. And there are a lot of them out there, but it appears that most are very small, in the range of 512m to 1gb. A few 2gb jobs get googled but none that anybody apparently stocks.

And so far no 4gb or 8gb Ogg players anywhere. The one outfit with the Samsung 4gb unit had 24 in stock on the website, but nobody bothered to tell the warehouse. None available.

The big iRiver unit I found at two sites, but again while they had a bunch in virtual stock, none existed in physical form in the shipping dept.

Either Ogg units are selling so fast that the factories can't keep up - or, nobody wants them and they can't be given away. Hmmm....

This is harder than I thought it would be. Maybe he will settle for a nice tie.

Konan

With Linux and Hardware, the problem is usually that it'll work just fine, but it doesn't say that it will, so you have to stick your neck out.

I have a very cheap Coby mp3 player that I bought at Kmart for about 20 dollars, and it works fine with Linux. Anything that uses a USB connection has a good chance of working, the simpler the better... but nothing ever says "works with Linux" on the box. That really annoys me.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/linux/tur...yer-216544.php

check this out..

never used it, only know what i read

looks pretty sleek