More fun with Fonts!

Thread: More fun with Fonts!

More fun with Fonts!

Okay, so I finally settled on OpenSuSE 10.3 on my work station. Especially since I found that I could do what I needed with RealBasic and Sqlite easily! BUT I have run into yet ANOTHER problem! And this one actually plagued me briefly with PCLinuxOS too. But by using Synaptics I was able to resolve it quickly. But in typical fashion what works one place doesn't work in another.

Here is the deal. Attached is a screen shot of the problem. On the left is a web interface to an Oracle database that I need to use for keeping my time. On the left is a section of Firefox. Notice the difference in fonts? Yes, that is correct, I cannot read the one of the left because the fonts are microscopic! Bear in mind the image was taken at full screen then cropped to meet the upload req's.

So what was the solution on PCLinuxOS? Simple, I installed Microsoft True Type fonts using Synaptics and problem solved. So I looked and according to YaST I have installed the Microsoft fonts when I did my initial update right after installing this system 8 days ago. I can't find them, there is no reference to them in any of my font managers and when I search using YaST there is no reference as in, cannot find search string.

Okay no problem I will just download and install them according to the directions on several web pages by using rpmbuild! Should work sweet right? Nope!

Code:
    Faser: rpmbuild -ba msttcorefonts-2.0-1.spec
    error: Failed build dependencies:
            /usr/bin/ttmkfdir is needed by msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch
    Faser:
    So I look around the web to find out what this ttmkfdir is, and can't really find a clear answer. But I find one that looks like it's correct, so I look for the XFree86 files that were referenced in YaST and... can't find them. So I really don't know what to do now. All my other fonts look fine, except this one thing that I NEED. Oh and yes I tried to launch this app from Konqueror and even Opera, same results.

ANy ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

I don't know if you've tried this already; but, a while back, I was able to fix microscopic font problems by setting dpi in xorg.conf.

Here's a the instructions I followed (it's Gentoo specific, but editing xorg.conf should be pretty universal):

gentoo-wiki.com: xorg and fonts

I went with the option of setting
    Code:
    Option    "DPI"    "96 x 96"
    HTH

Sadly I did

try it and no luck...

Vanpooling now...

hmmm....

That's odd that the website shows up fine but the login box does not. Both of them are browser windows right? It looks like your window manager is also affected somehow.

Do you still have your PCLinuxOS installation handy? Maybe you can just copy over the font files.

Nope

It is gone. Replaced 100% by OpenSuSE 10.3 which is what was agreed upon by our ITS department. I forgot to bring it to work BUT I do have an RPM from 2006 version 0.8 with Microsoft true type fonts. I tested it at home and works fine and fixes the problem. SO I know it has to do with the font and how the application is calling for it.

The application is launched by the web browser and is a Java app encapsulating an Oracle database. This is driving me buggy!

Vanpooling now...

You can try installing ttmkfdir
    Freshmeat: ttmkfdir
    and see if that'll make rpmbuild work.

Or maybe use cabextract directly on the msttcorefonts file and see what you get. Hopefully, it'll be the .ttf files themselves.

So while I am tripping down

dependency nightmare revisited, what happened to the good old pre-packages RPM with MS fonts? Used to be I could download an RPM and install then go. Now all I can find is how to MAKE the RPM and that is turning into a dependency pain in the backside.

Vanpooling now...

Okay so now I am beyond annoyed and into the

realm of aggravated heading for royally p!$$ed off. So it dawns on me that I have access to Microsoft fonts via several of the Windows XP machines I am connected too! So install the fonts needed and now... guess what!

The damn web browser says I need to install the jre so I can access the Oracle page, that I was able to access but unable to read, just a couple hours ago! So how is it that I add 10 fonts and NOW I can't even access the page I was able to access but not read because a jre (which ironically IS installed) is not installed?

This is getting beyond stupid. Oh, and I gave up trying to compile the ttmkfdir tarball. After resolving 20 errors of 43 I finally decided that my boss is paying me for productivity, not trouble shooting and that if I want to keep both my job AND the Linux box, I better get my backside back to several reports that are due next week as well as get ready to set-up the meter reading device for early Monday morning.

So the font issue is resolved though... but now I have a new issue! Does it ever end?

Vanpooling now...