Alternate status icons in Gaim?

Thread: Alternate status icons in Gaim?

Alternate status icons in Gaim?

Hey. I'm beginning to switch to Ubuntu from Windows XP, and I'm a GMail user. I love the Google Talk client, and I was thrilled when I found out that Gaim could function as a Google Talk client, too. However, I'm not too thrilled with the default status icons - the huge lightbulb jobs. I much prefer the elegant green or red dot of Google Talk.

Would changing the status icons be as simple as finding the image file and editing it? If so, where can I find the folder for Gaim? I'm still pretty new to Linux and I'm not sure where things are.

-Sortevik

If the status icons are really image files, then they're very likely stored in /usr/share somewhere -- probably under /usr/share/gaim-<some version>.

But using image files is not the only way to do status icons -- the gaim authors could have used the XPM format (which is basically just C code) to build the image data directly into the gaim executable. If they did that, then there's no way to edit it except editing the original XPM file from gaim's source, and recompiling gaim. I hope they didn't do this, but it's possible.

Anyway, yeah, I'd look around /usr/share first.

I thought gaim renamed themselves to pidgin. If you're still using gaim, give pidgin a try. They've revamped the UI.

If you still want to customize the images, you can play with
    /usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/
    (at least that was the location for my system)

If your using Ubuntu 7.04 then it's still called gaim, if your using Ubuntu 7.10 (which just released today) then it will be called pidgin.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

Thanks. I'll have to upgrade to 7.10, then.

When I get something working, I'll post screenshots for you all.

-Sortevik