Problem booting all of the sudden

Thread: Problem booting all of the sudden

Problem booting all of the sudden

As of this evening, everything was running peachy. I shutdown properly, as usual, and went out to dinner. I came back and she won't boot very far. Currently, I'm running the most up to date Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS. I copied down what it says on screen.

Uncompressing Linux... Ok booting the kernel.
    mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /root failed: No such device
    mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev .static/dev failed: No such directory...
    mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such directory
    mount: Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such directory
    Target file system doesn't have /sbin/init

Then busybox loads. But then

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    #

So, from here I have nothing to do but restart the computer, but it won't go beyond this.

I do have a number of live discs available to troubleshoot. I really need assistance on this as it is a production computer and alot of work is on there. I hope I can recover from this.

Thank you all in advance.
    Daniel
    Linux User# 315525
    (K)ubuntu User# 9252

When you see the Grub menu do not select a system to boot. Just press the "c" key and this will drop you into a Grub prompt.

You could investiagte the PC while you are in a Grub prompt. For example this command will show all the partitions in the 1st hard disk
    Code:
    geometry (hd0)
    If hda1, which should be the 0 partition of the 1st disk (hd0), is not available then it should show up.

The hard disk some times may play game with the owner to refuse to boot on one power up but behaves normally in another power up.

Another possibility is if the kernel has been updated then the newer kernel may call hda1 as sda1. In such a case you need to reconfigure the menu.lst and fstab.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Okay, I did as you suggested and the geometry does point hda1 at 0 (or whatever the terminology is). I booted into live and captured the output for menu.lst. I can't find anything wrong, but maybe someone may find something.
    menu.lst
    Here is my fstab file.
    fdisk -l on hda is here.
    Here are a few other various outputs.

I certainly hope I can get this resolved soon. I have a long proof to complete before Monday. Thanks again.

Daniel
    Linux User# 315525
    (K)ubuntu User# 9252

Your menu.lst shows us that there are 8 choices of booting your Ubuntu. Have you tried the other 7 alternatives?

It is possible that Grub may be corrupted slightly because device hda1 does exists, right?

You can restore Grub as follow

When you see the booting screen press "Esc" quickly and then the "c" key. This should drop you into a Grub prompt. Grub can be restored in a Grub prompt by commands
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    setup (hd0)
    Thereafter it will boot by command
    Code:
    chainloader (hd0)+1
    boot
    If you can't manage to get the Grub prompt put a "#" infront of Line 22 in the "hiddenmenu". This will disables the hiddenmenu command. Also adding a few "0" after the timeout statement will elongate the time you can decide which system to boot.

Original part of your menu.lst
    Code:
    timeout         3

## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    hiddenmenu
    Suggested changes in red
    Code:
    timeout         300

## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    #hiddenmenu
    All lines with a # in the front is ignored by Grub (no executed).
    Last edited by saikee; 11-30-2007 at 06:18 AM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"