Shopping for NVIDIA card

Thread: Shopping for NVIDIA card

Shopping for NVIDIA card

For my new custom-built system, I've pretty much settled on NVIDIA, since that company's graphics cards seem to have better Linux support than ATI.

However, there's a lot of choice even among the different NVIDIA cards.

What I'm looking for a mid-range card. On the one hand, I don't want the crappy performance of Intel integrated graphics cards. On the other hand, I don't want a premium for pimped-out gaming performance either.

I mainly want to try out Beryl (or whatever they call it these days), as well as Swing, Java 2D, and some basic OpenGL graphics.

A friend told me the GeForce was good enough for my needs.

What do you think?
    So many cool OS's to play with (Linux, Mac, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD) and so little time

If your friend is suggesting a GeForce 1 range card, please smack him/her with a herring for me.

Since virtually ALL of Nvidia's cards nowadays are GeForce cards, your friend would have been better off giving you a model range. For example I'm using a GeForce 5700LE and even though I'm a gamer it has sufficed for a few years now. But considering Nvidia's latest model range is the 8000 series you might want to look at either the 7000 or 6000 series since you state you're not concerned with pimped out graphics.

Personally I would not bother with the mid range card from the 8000 series, you could probably find the mid range 7000 cheaper or even the high end 6000 and get similiar results.

In the end it comes down to how much you want to spend vs how much prettiness you want out of it
    Laptop: Pentium4 2.8Ghz ; 512Mb Ram ; SimplyMepis 6.0

AppleGeeks | 8-Bit Theatre

I'd recommend one of those passively-cooled 7950 cards from XFX.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Just got a 7300 GT and it's great. made by BFG $129.00 at frys.
    Linux reg. User # 298337

I love my 6600 GT. Beryl works great on it.

I have a 7600gt (PCIe) with 256MB of GDDR3. You can get it from newegg.com for $75 right now after rebate. It even handles the new Crysis game (granted, on the lowest settings). Handles HL2, Doom3, and some of the games around that same generation like a dream...all on max settings.

I had a 6600gt before this one and it was great, but the 7600gt is leaps and bounds better. At $75 it's certainly reasonable as well. Here's a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130062
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

I'm currently using this card ( ASUS N7600GS SILENT)
    It can be had for 76 bucks at newegg. Right now this card is running like a charm under Sabayon 3.4E. It card handles all the effects that are available in Beryl with no problem and the card is fanless so it doesn't make a sound. I also have a Haupaugge 150 pvr tv turner card. The combination of the 150 pvr tuner, Asus N7600GS, and mythtv gives me a very clear picture. DVD movies look great too.

I also used this card MSI NX7600GS-TD256 for a few years without a single problem under 5 or 6 different linux. I'm happy to add this card is still alive and kicking. I gave it to a friend when she decided to try linux. I helped her install PClinuxOS she is very happy with the cards performance. Okay she doesn't know a thing about hardware but she's really impressed with Beryl and is absolutely gah-gah over the desktop cube. And she gets a real blast from the "wobbly windows" as she puts it.
    If you don't know your rights you don't have any......Irv Homer radio talkshow host Irv homer archives

Sabayon 3.4E
    kernel 2.6.22
    KDE 3.5 with Beryl
    X.org 7.2
    Asus M2N-SLIDelux
    2 Gig Ram
    hda 60 gig WD Hard Drive
    sda 320gig WD Hard Drive
    sdb 80gig WD Hard drive
    ASUS EN7600GS Silent
    member of the justlinux folding@home time

I think the GeForce 7000 series can be good for you.

7900 OC(I'll post the exact model when I get home) and its wonderful.
    Also, Intel Graphics on the laptop.....compiz-fusion runs great
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2001
    Just got a 7300 GT and it's great. made by BFG $129.00 at frys.
    Ouch. $130 for a 7300 card? If you can, return that and buy something like this. Or if you want to spend around that much get a 7600 GT or a 7900 GS.

Got it here http://shop4.outpost.com/product/527...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm still on AGP can't afford the hardware to upgrade to shinny new.
    Linux reg. User # 298337

Being in the same boat as my OB video doesn't play well with any Linux distro I've come up with this conclusion. Right now the best bet seems to be the GT7300 or GT7600 as far as performance with Linux goes.

Newegg right now has a MSI GT7300LE for about $35.00 w. $10.00 MIR or an ASUS GF7600GT for about $56.00, both are PCIe and have 256meg memory. Speeds are about the same with the 7600 having 8 pipes and the 7300 with 4pipes. Both are also passively cooled. The 7600 will be a bit better in windows if you're dual booting.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2001
    Got it here http://shop4.outpost.com/product/527...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm still on AGP can't afford the hardware to upgrade to shinny new.
    Ah, AGP. I suppose they do stick it to you a bit more with that since it's getting harder and harder to find those cards. Still seems a little high for a low-end card, but then I'm not familiar with that market really.