Linux...Should I Try??!!??

Thread: Linux...Should I Try??!!??

Arrow Linux...Should I Try??!!??

I keep hearing all of these things about Linux, and some people like it more than Windows. I was just wondering if I should try it out? I know nothing...nothing about Linux, and if you guys can give me some info, that would be nice. I'm reading about it right now...

Also, will it give me better performance on games? Such as Day of Defeat: Source? Guild Wars, Oblivion...

So, I might try out Linux soon, and I would like your help, I would like to try Dual-Botting XP Pro and Linux (Ubuntu?)

Hello and welcome! If you're interested in Linux and you're in any field related to IT then I would strongly suggest you at least try Linux. Many of the jobs out there are going to require Linux administration skills.

As far as the gaming is concerned, it's very likely that you won't be able to play games on Linux that you can play on Windows. We do have a thread here for all of the gaming sites and it's pretty darn complete. Check it out to see what you can currently do:

http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=110283

What you might want to try to do is to start with a "live cd". It's basically Linux on a cd and therefore you won't have to install anything to get started. Just put the cd into the drive and reboot. It will do the rest. If you wish to install a complete OS then I would suggest either Ubuntu or Fedora for a beginner, but there's a huge thread on that too if you search for it. Everyone has their own opinion about what's best...you just have to try some to see what you think. However, you'll probably wind up liking one of the ones you try first because each one is slightly different. Once you get accustomed to one distribution, you're going to complain that another has different commands/options/etc.

I would say give it a shot. There are plenty people here that can help you with things. Definitely do some research before attempting to dual-boot your system...and definitely if it's your first time doing it backup all your stuff that's currently on there just in case. There are plenty of threads on this forum you can search for that you should walk you through setting that up though. Good luck!
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

If you try linux and like it, send an email to Bill Gates telling him so. Then, copy his reply and this post and forward it to 25 people on your email contact list. Once you've refreshed your browser, you will receive a check from Micro$oft for $100000! I know its hard to believe, but this actually works!!!

BTW, 'Dual-Botting' will not work. Bot clients typically work better in a 100% Windoze environment.

Good Luck!!
    Linux user #367409

I strongly suspect the original poster is just a spammer. He put up 4 completely random posts today within 6 minutes, and never replied. His sig contains 2 links, the contents of which our moderators would probably disapprove. I vote we kick him the hell off the island.

drC
    "Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones."

Quote Originally Posted by DrChuck
    I strongly suspect the original poster is just a spammer. He put up 4 completely random posts today within 6 minutes, and never replied. His sig contains 2 links, the contents of which our moderators would probably disapprove. I vote we kick him the hell off the island.

drC
    I agree...I noticed some time earlier and was just waiting for soimeone else to rake action.....sheesh...can't even do a decent avatar...what's this place coming too.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01
    ...Definitely do some research before attempting to dual-boot your system...and definitely if it's your first time doing it backup all your stuff that's currently on there just in case. There are plenty of threads on this forum you can search for that you should walk you through setting that up though. Good luck!
    Good advice for one who is contemplating dual booting. I don't like dual booting myself. Some do. I always recommend a HD mobile caddy. ( http://www.xpcgear.com/mobileracks.html ) Dual booting can get pretty complicated. For a $20-$30 dollar investment, this convoluted managing of your dual system will be made a lot easier.

Should you try Linux? Why hell yes you should. It's a lot like sex, once you've tried it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

The only thing you will find lacking in Linux is the games. Some suggest Wine. A program that allows you to 'use' Windows programs ( games and other apps ) while logged into your Linux OS. But you'll find this is a poor substitute for the real thing. Most aren't very happy with the results.

For everything else, there is nothing better. At least, that's the way I feel. I used Linux (Debian/Lenny) exclusive at home. Can't do that at work. Don't have a thing to say about that.

Of course there will be some programs you just can't do without or that no Linux apps will do.

For a new person like you who is interested in giving Linux a shot, I'd like to suggest Ubuntu. Their latest version, 7.10, is a very polished and well enabled OS. It's easy to install all the codecs and apps/programs you'll need. An other Linux OS that I also recommend is Mint Linux. It's based on Ubuntu and it too is very easy to work with and just right for someone starting out.

Once you get your feet wet with these two recommended distros, then given the geekoid distros a try. But not until then. Get a system up and working. Then experiment with the others.

Good luck and don't give up. Linux is well worth the effort. You'll be pleased.

P.S. Oh, and the suggestion of using a 'live' CD is a good one. Nothing installed on your HD. All programs and apps running off the CD. This will give you a good idea of what Linux has to offer without doing any HD installations. Then you can decide whether to do a HD install or not.

Go for broke! It's the only way you'll know if Linux is for you. And then take the plunge! Jump in, head first!!!
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Too bad. And I had such good advice. Oh, well. I'll send to the next newbie, - real newbie- who needs a hand.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/