xubuntu

Thread: xubuntu

xubuntu

To whom it may concern,

I have recently installed xubuntu 7.10 for the desktop onto my ibm thinkpad r40 model. What I am having problems with is the network passphrase for the wireless network that I want to connect to. I do not know what it is? But I do have internet on my desktop computer which is running fedora core 4. How can I find out the network passphrase for the laptop that I want to get connected to the internet? Preferably I would like to know how to do it through the command line if possible? But any answer would be great. I have learned that sometimes the passphrase could mean something else like the ip address or the gateway address. What does passphrase mean on xubuntu because I might already know it, but just in case I do not know it can you tell me how to find it on fedora core 4. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. My protection on my router is wep 64 bits 10 hex digits and I have tried everything what does network key and passphrase actually mean under xubuntu? I believe that it could be my root password, but for which computer the desktop or the laptop's root password?

Somewhere on your router there should be a small, recessed button for resetting everything back to the original factory settings.

Press this button (you'll need a pencil or something like that because the button is small on purpose), and then reconfigure your computer's passphrase from scratch.

When you reset the router, the passphrase will not be required.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I would like to do that as a last resort, are there any other ways to avoid resetting the router? Someone else told me that the dns keys would work but it did not, they also told me to try the root passwd but they did not specify which root passwd I should use, should I use the laptop's root passwd or the desktop's root passwd?

Why as a last resort? What could be easier than pressing a button and setting a new password?
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Why as a last resort? What could be easier than pressing a button and setting a new password?
    Because it resets _everything_ not just your wifi password.

However, if you don't have the password, the chances are you're scuppered and will need to do it anyway.

Before you do so, log on to your router from your desktop machine, and copy down all the settings, just in case.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

I have all the information which includes the ip address, gateway address, the wep passphrase or password, the 4 dns keys or the 4 passphrases which are in hex because the wep setting is 64 bits 10 hex digits, and the domain address along with the essid for the router. The laptop detects it when I type in sudo ifconfig -a, but I think the problem is that wlan0 does not have my settings and I may have to put them in manually, is there a way to do this using the command line through the terminal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again I would like to use the reset button as a last resort because I do not want to reset everything if I do not have to.