Just Installed and now more puzzled than ever

Thread: Just Installed and now more puzzled than ever

Just Installed and now more puzzled than ever

Well I finally made that switch from Windows, the system I have come to know inside and out it. Linux As I can see has nothing I can reference to ... haha. I seem to come to a complete loss of knowledge about computers when using this system.

I have Debian right now and I have two problems.

1~ How do I install programs like firefox? There is no auto-run just click this file and install. It seems to be much more than that.

2~ I have a camera and pluged it in. Debian Immediatly recognized it and asked if i wanted to import the photo's. I clicked yes and then that was it ... Were did they go?

Thank You for you time I want to learn more abou tthis system. I enjoy the fact of having to relearn the computer it seems.

Mr.Chow
    "Knowledge is knowing something, Wisdom is knowing how to use somthing."

http://www.aboutdebian.com/packages.htm

apt-get is your friend.

Your images could be mounted a couple of places. I'm not that familiar with Debian anymore, but I would check /media in your file browsers.

Thanks,

Keith
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

To install applications use apt-get, synaptic, or one of the package management tools.

As "root"

apt-get update (run this before installing any applications)
    apt-get install iceweasel (this will install Firefox. Debian changed the name for reasons I won't go into here.)

Your photos didn't get imported. The tool isn't installed.
    Since Gnome is the default environment...

apt-get install gthumb

Connect your camera again. gthumb should open and you can work with your photos from there.

Good Luck,

Synaptic is the best way that I have found with debian-based distributions. You can actively search all the available applications by name and description. It will bring up all the possibilities it found. You can then read about them and select for installation. You will be spoiled after using synaptic. It will seem even easier than finding, downloading and doubleclicking windows install files. It will also keep all the applications on your computer updated if you click to mark all updated packages. You will also have an easy time upgrading your computer to the next release if you don't mix stable, testing, and unstable packages.
    Last edited by ehawk; 01-22-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Your photos are probably in /home/user/Pictures

Where user is your username.

Just a guess though
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chow
    Well I finally made that switch from Windows, the system I have come to know inside and out it. Linux As I can see has nothing I can reference to ... haha. I seem to come to a complete loss of knowledge about computers when using this system.
    Hi mr chow, first of all I want to congratulate you for probably making one of the most important decision that possibly could change your life, which is having the balls to migrate from a windows to a linux OS..so well done!

Well i was as confused as you.. when i first installed my Linux distribution(ubuntu feasty) a year ago...but i wasn't confused for too long when i saw the free documentation that is provided on there websites...
    more than 60% of the people have a tendency to do stuff...with out actually knowing what they are doing(including me) lol...so i strongly recommend you start your linux experience but reading documentation...and learning about the nuts and bolts..

1~ How do I install programs like firefox? There is no auto-run just click this file and install. It seems to be much more than that.
    Firefox is installed by default on all the linux distribution that you can possibly
    think of.

2~ I have a camera and pluged it in. Debian Immediatly recognized it and asked if i wanted to import the photo's. I clicked yes and then that was it ... Were did they go?
    Probably in your "/home/login-name" directory

Thank You for you time I want to learn more abou tthis system. I enjoy the fact of having to relearn the computer it seems.
    That the spirit!! Good luck
    If drinking and driving is illegal, why do bars have parking lots?