How does one start about writing worthwhile code...?

Thread: How does one start about writing worthwhile code...?

How does one start about writing worthwhile code...?

Hi guys.

Well, it's like this: I like tinkering around with computers, and know a little bit about programming and programming languages. Of late, I've been fooling around with Python, and boy, it's fun!

It's been a couple of months, and I'm still sitting here, writing toy programs.

Which brings me to the question: How does one go about writing worthwhile stuff...? I mean, where does one start...?

Thank you.

I would suggest you start looking at some of the "real" topics in computer science. What I mean is to look at topics such as artificial intelligence, security, robotics, etc. Which one of these topics interest you and then try to write some programs that implement programs related to one of those topics. This can get you away from toy programs like hello world.

One example might be to code up an encryption algorithm. There are plenty of implementations of RSA or AES out there, but have you written one yet?

Or, just think of something that would help you when you're using the computer...then attempt to write such a program.

You might also try finding a small open source project that looks interesting (search sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net, or something similar) and see if anything interests you.

I guess it really all depends on how little "a little" knowledge is.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01
    Or, just think of something that would help you when you're using the computer...then attempt to write such a program.

You might also try finding a small open source project that looks interesting (search sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net, or something similar) and see if anything interests you.
    The first part is how I imagine most Open Source projects got started. I would generally say it doesn't matter what you write to help improve you're computer experience, if you feel the need for it you'll more than likely find someone else who could use it. So create a project on one of the sites gamblor01 listed and see what happens.

Helping out on other projects is a great way to get involved, and something I plan on doing as soon as I get some spare time, but make sure it's something you're really interested in. Otherwise you may find that fixing bug reports, which everyone has to do at some time, gets too boring and it puts you off contributing.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Write something that solves a task or problem you deal with oftenl. Start simple, and extend it, and you will hopefully end up with something useful for yourself and probably others. Then you can share it (and the code) to allow others to add/change it.

Homework might also be a starting point

EDIT: oh... btw we dont do your homework for u
    Registered Linux User #388117

I would honestly pick something that will keep your interest.

Python is awesome!!! I was just about to start on a game in Python. Although I am still in school, and get hindered by c and c++ programs.

I would also say pick something that will challenge you. Then you will find yourself laying in bed trying to figure out why something was not working. This will cause you to always come back to your code.

Hope my input helps!
    Thank You Randy Pausch

Honestly? You don't. Put it this why "I've just started to learn to walk, now how do I run a marathon?" To keep with the metaphor: take baby steps. If you've started with toy programs move on to useful-toy programs. Something like a program that searches through all the files on your computer and prints out a list of all the MP3s on it. And then expand on that.

To write really code you'll need a lot more experience. You'll need to understand real object oriented programming, recursion, design, data structures, etc. You're still a ways away from that AFAI can tell.
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

BSD, Java, and Functional Programming fan.