fedora or ubuntu?

Thread: fedora or ubuntu?

Arrow fedora or ubuntu?

my question is ubuntu or fedora ?
    which one is good?

to be precise fedora 8-werewolf or ubuntu gutsy?

people compare all os distributions but not these one.

i feel that fedora seems good.

if only desktop appearance count ubuntu might have an edge.

but in a broad aspect which one is good?

I think you could try 'em both
    Run, Bill! It's Tux, the linux monster!

ubuntu more beginner-friendly

If you are just starting into linux, I think Ubuntu is more beginner-friendly. It seemed to me that ubuntu had more repositories available and simply "commented out" in its package management configuration file, while you had to look on the internet to find and copy in many useful fedora repositories.

Also, you can do the full distribution upgrade in ubuntu over the internet, where as I think using yum to upgrade fedora is still prone to cause problems, and a CD upgrade is the approved method.

If your trying Linux for the first time, you will likely be impressed by both. You will also likely try a number of other distros in the future. But, if you also need to be productive in Linux and need to use it for more than fun then you will inevitably come around to Debian or a Debian based distro in the end (Ubuntu and others). So you cold pick Ubuntu now and save the the learning experience but you'd loose out on all that fun too.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Try both, but I lean towards Ubuntu. I've had too many circular RPM dependency problems...

I have always used Fedora and haven't used anything else. It is very easy to use also so i would try it.
    http://tpspace.net <<<< My Blog
    http://tpspace.net/wallpaper<<<wallapaper i use
    registered linux user #455172
    ubuntu user # 23820

http://nolimit974.mybrute.com<<< good game

Fedora and Ubuntu

This is a question I've asked myself, despite having worked my way up from Fedora 1 to version 8.

Setting up multimedia facilities for Fedora is still tricky (see www.fedorafaq.org for advice) and I've had a lot of trouble getting Java to work with Firefox. Looking at the Ubuntu forums to see what troubles people there, it seems these problems don't exist. On the other hand, Ubuntu is vary variable: some versions have had few problems, others a lot. The lesson with Ubuntu seems to be "let other people try a new version and don't get it if it gives trouble"!

As for the idea that all serious users have Debian, I think the thousands of corporate users of Red Hat might be a bit surprised to hear that. And what is Red Hat but a stabilised Fedora with added support?

Neither

I recommend Mepis. www.mepis.org

It is based on Debian Etch, very stable, and quite easy to setup/install.

I've tried many distros in the past, and have found this to be most to my liking.

Al

If you go with Fedora make sure you get FC8 I did a fresh install with FC8 and had no problem with java. FC8 comes with Icetea which is a java alternative from what i understand. You don't have to manually install if you select to have it installed when selecting the packages you want when installing FC8.

And as for the multimedia do you mean like amarok with mp3 support or just multimedia programs in general? If you mean for mp3 support here is a link to help you with that http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/ it is the second post.
    http://tpspace.net <<<< My Blog
    http://tpspace.net/wallpaper<<<wallapaper i use
    registered linux user #455172
    ubuntu user # 23820

http://nolimit974.mybrute.com<<< good game

Fedora. It just plain rocks. Plus you'll learn something.
    Glennzo