Parental controls - web monitoring program

Thread: Parental controls - web monitoring program

Parental controls - web monitoring program

Hi,
    Please pardon my lack of computer savy My children now have the Eee PC with linux os and I would like to know if there is a program similar to Webwatcher which I am told does not work with Linux, that works well and is recommended to use with the ASUS Eee PC?
    Blessings,
    cj

The EEE PC runs Xandros, so this should help

http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?p=137307&

[EDIT]
    It's possible for your children to see stuff that should be filtered, or bypass the filter, so as with all things education is important...
    Last edited by deathadder; 06-03-2008 at 05:24 AM.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Firefox plugin 'ProCon'

Hello Seejay,

I recently installed a Firefox plugin called 'ProCon'. This is working nicely for me - it comes with a list of pre-configured words and phrases that, if they occur on a web page, will cause the page to be blocked. It is possible to update this block list if you so desire, and if you are blocked from seeing a legitimate page you can white-list it on the fly (access to change the white-list and other settings can optionally be controlled by a password).

The benefits of ProCon are:
    1) Since it is a Firefox plugin, it is Linux-flavour independent.
    2) It is simple, effective and easy to configure.

You may also wish to have a look at a proxy called 'privoxy' ('Private proxy'). I run this on my PC and it blocks out a lot of crook sites (for example ad.doubleclick.com), keeping nasties off my system, blocking annoying popups and ads, and saving me some bandwidth into the bargain. (It is a complicated beast to try and change, so I just leave it in a vanilla state - that is why I have also installed ProCon).

I hope this is helpful :-)

Regards,
    Hugh
    You can choose from any of a number of operating systems, or you can use Windows.

Let he who has coded without bugs cast the first stone.

Quote Originally Posted by seejay
    Hi,
    Please pardon my lack of computer savy My children now have the Eee PC with linux os and I would like to know if there is a program similar to Webwatcher which I am told does not work with Linux, that works well and is recommended to use with the ASUS Eee PC?
    Blessings,
    cj
    You might want to check out dansguardian. I assume that it can be set up to work on a single computer.

Unfortunately, sometimes Linux does not have as many "niche" programs as other platforms, but that is changing rapidly. Dansguardian will do what you want, I am just unsure as to how difficult the setup may be.

It might be easy, I just don't know.