Tux Graphic When Booting - How do I enable it?

Thread: Tux Graphic When Booting - How do I enable it?

Question Tux Graphic When Booting - How do I enable it?

I noticed some distros have a small Tux graphic in the upper left hand corner while booting. I think this is pretty neat and I was wondering how to enable that for distros that don't include the Tux graphic by default.

Anyone know what I mean?

You have to enable VGA mode and then set the graphic to use. May also want to look into using a splash screen like Ubuntu does.

It's all done in the kernel configuration menu. You have to compile your own kernel to make it happen. I have that nice little feature on my laptop (since it's encrypted, it needs its own kernel). My server on the other hand has the Debian stock kernel (makes upgrades easier) and doesn't have it by default.

The penguin logo also refers to the number of processors the kernel can find - since my server is a Core 2 Quad system, booting it with Knoppix shows 4 penguins!

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Atheist
    The penguin logo also refers to the number of processors the kernel can find - since my server is a Core 2 Quad system, booting it with Knoppix shows 4 penguins!
    That's interesting, since I'm on a dual-core system and I only see one penguin...

I know the kernel is seeing both cores, because /proc/cpuinfo shows them. Hmm. Maybe that's enabled by a different kernel option than the one that enables the logo? (CONFIG_LOGO, CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16, and/or CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224 are the setting names that I know of.) Or maybe the distro dumped a different logo file into the kernel image when it saw your four CPUs?
    Last edited by bwkaz; 07-01-2008 at 07:19 PM.

im now using ubuntu 8.04 but from my 7.10 system, i already had bootmanager (if my memory serves me right) that allows me to change the splash screen and even assign a background graphic for my grub menu ...

i had it downloaded and installed coz i want to customize my machine to have my own logos etc at boot up ...
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

Originally posted by bwkaz:
    That's interesting, since I'm on a dual-core system and I only see one penguin...
    Try booting with Knoppix - I know that definitely shows up more than one penguin if you have more than one core. Since my server runs the stock Debian kernel, the graphic isn't enabled so I can't see it with a normal boot. I can only see it under Knoppix.

James
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

is it possible that i could install a kernel module to do this instead?

it is not possible.

are you new? if that is the case, can we have the distro you are using? This is because some distros have bootsplash or anything else that occupies the screen at boot to make it nice. Quite a bit like how the windows logo at boot will cover the command lines behind.

Nonetheless, the prescribed method of compiling your own kernel will surely work. enable vesafb or above in menuconfig's framebuffer section will open up the selection for this logo.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Thumbs up guess i have to recompile

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoKJ
    it is not possible.

are you new?
    No, if you check my join date you will clearly notice that it says JAN 2003 i have compiled kernels before, i was just hoping i didn't have to

if that is the case, can we have the distro you are using?
    debian, mostly. i've got the penguin to work in fedora, slackware, centos, and others by setting a vga=791 kernel option on bootup, but in debian this is not the case.

This is because some distros have bootsplash or anything else that occupies the screen at boot to make it nice. Quite a bit like how the windows logo at boot will cover the command lines behind.
    i am aware but usually when this happens with a distro there still is a brief five seconds where the penguin will appear

Nonetheless, the prescribed method of compiling your own kernel will surely work. enable vesafb or above in menuconfig's framebuffer section will open up the selection for this logo.
    alright i guess i have to recompile

Quote Originally Posted by dmd3x
    debian, mostly. i've got the penguin to work in fedora, slackware, centos, and others by setting a vga=791 kernel option on bootup,
    If you're turning the framebuffer console on (via the vga= parameter), but the logo still isn't showing up, then your kernel has CONFIG_LOGO turned off, but CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE and CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE and CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT all turned on.

(And you need the last three for the first one to work. )

CONFIG_LOGO isn't available as a module, though; you have to recompile the kernel to turn it on if it's off, AFAIK anyway. Sorry...

(You can check for sure by seeing what CONFIG_LOGO is set to in the kernel's .config file. This may be available through /proc/config.gz, or you might have to go looking around in /boot.)

This is a nuisance with Debian because you lose the ability to auto-update the stock kernel with apt. I no longer compile for Debian for this same reason unless it's absolutely necessary (i.e. my encrypted laptop).

Still, it's amazing how simple (and useless) this feature is and people (including me) get wound up when it's not there!

James
    UseLinux.net

Just in case you didn't know.

If you have a Nvidia graphic card and are using their driver, after you recompile your kernel you will need to setup the video driver again, unless they have changed it. Not sure about ATI but I would guess the same for them also.