is it possible ?

Thread: is it possible ?

is it possible ?

right now i'm trying to embark on a new project ...

i've got a 40gb hd with win xp (from PC A) and another 20gb hd with ubuntu (from PC B) ...

is it possible to merge these 2 into just one hd (to PC C) ?

thanks in advance ...

have a nice weekend !!!

cheers !!!
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

yes.

XP will complain more with the hardware changes so i'd start there.

Put XP disk in PC C and boot up and correct all the hardware problems you willl have.

Then put Ubuntu disk in as the second disk.

Then boot off a liveCD and re-install grub over the XP disk and on bootup, you will (after some work) have the option to boot XP or ubuntu.

My reaction is unless the XP has a full license for transferring between computer the OEM version is supposed to die with the PC and not transferable. It is against the purchase agreement to transfer the OEM license from computer to computer.

At a technical level the hardware changes will necessitate a re-activation of XP with M$.

Linux on the other hand can be transferred between computer but many settings will have to be re-configured to suit the new environment.

You are far better re-install the two systems and copy the personal data across.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

yup the XP in PC A is OEM ... and I do agree that with transferring that hd to PC C I have to deal with the hardware changes and license issues too

ugh ... i just hate M$ ... grrr ...

will work on this on during the weekend and will keep you posted ...

thank you all !!!
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

jamesbandido,

Although the OEM license disallows the OS to be moved M$ has so far accepted to activate it if the original PC has a component fails prematurely, like an old motherboard. Many PC components have a short product life and out of production quickly superseded by newer replacements.

M$ also will activate the OS automatically, without a telephone request, if there a sufficiently long gap since the product was last activated.

The more M$ activate its OSes the more popular Linux will become so that isn't a bad thing to the Open Source community.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

As for the licence reactivation thing, I've had to reactivate a user's copy of Windows XP simply by replacing the graphics card.

Nothing else in the machine changed, just a new graphics card! It wouldn't let me log in to test the bloody thing until I'd phoned Microshaft up and got a reactivation key from them!

As for Linux, I've transferred a hard drive between two completely independent machines (with no hardware similarity at all, not even the motherboard or processor) and it worked first time. I just had to rejig X to get the GUI working. The rest was fine.

Any wonder why I use Linux and not Windoze?

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net
    -----------------------------

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'