Fedora 9 - No volume groups found

Thread: Fedora 9 - No volume groups found

Uh, I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am.

Fedora 9 - No volume groups found

I just upgraded my motherboard and kept the same disks in the system, but when I go to boot, I get a No volume groups found.

When I do a rescue, no problem to find them what so ever. I switched SATA ports, but that got me nothing. Any ideas?
    if (i_forgot && this_is_about_code)
    language = c++;

It may be that your new motherboard uses a different SATA chipset. Fedora builds a ramdisk with a list of drivers determined at install time. It wouldn't work if you moved to a chipset whose driver wasn't included on that ramdisk. The rescue mode installer will probe for supported hardware by trying every driver it knows about and so will pick up the disks.

If this is indeed the case you will need to add the name of the correct kernel module to Fedora's ramdisk. You can find this by booting into rescue mode and seeing which modules are loaded. SATA disks show up as SCSI so
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ^scsi[0-9]
    may be helpful.

The rest of the procedure must be carried out chrooted to your system. Fedora rescue mode mounts the existing system on /mnt/sysimage so you can access it with
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage /bin/bash -login
    Now you must add the module as an alias to scsi_hostadapter in /etc/modprobe.conf. For example, if you determined that you needed the ahci module you would add
    Code:
    alias scsi_hostadapter ahci
    Add it below any existing scsi_hostadapter lines. They will all be picked up.

Finally you need to create the new ramdisk. Fedora has a script to do this:
    Code:
    /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --update --mkinitrd <version>
    where <version> is your kernel version. Normally you would use uname -r to find this but the kernel you have on your system may not be the same as on the rescue CD. To be safe you should look at /boot/grub/grub.conf. For example, on one of my systems I have this:
    Code:
    default=0
    title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
    title Fedora (2.6.25.14.fc9.i686)
    Grub is set to boot the first kernel in the list (because default is 0) and so the kernel version is 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686. Of course you could repeat new-kernel-pkg for every installed kernel to eliminate all doubt.

Uh, I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am.
    Sweet, that worked perfectly!

Surprised I couldn't find that through google.
    if (i_forgot && this_is_about_code)
    language = c++;

thanks

i registered just to say thanks..
    you saved me from reinstalling

I registered just to say thanks, as well!

This is a great tip.

In my situation, I had to move a drive that was internal, to an external USB enclosure. It would no longer boot successfully, until I added this line to the /etc/modprobe.conf file and rebuilt the initramfs with the new-kernel-pkg command, as you said:

alias scsi_hostadapter usb_storage

It's amazing why the developers of Fedora just don't put all common IDE, SATA, SCSI, and USB drivers in their initramfs, to begin with. Fedora, and Red Hat distros in general, are notorious for falling over whenever any part of the booting hardware is changed (failing disks replaced, new disks added which change drive letters, and so on). The recent move to UUID-based filesystem identification in the kernel command line and the /etc/fstab file is a good thing, but they really need to move to a Knoppix-style universal initramfs that can boot anywhere from anything.

Funny, I am in the same boat. I just registered to say thank you! This worked for me as well. I know the thread is as old as dirt, but, I have a Fedora server that I backed up with Clonezilla. When I restored to a different PC, I had the same problem. No volumes found. The other day I searched, didn't find this thread... after thinking about it, I kind of came to the conclusion here, but, didn't know how to do it. when I researched today, this thread came up. followed it to the T, and worked like a charm. Thank you very much! Only odd thing for me is that my modprobe.conf had nothing in it. I at first thought it wasn't there, but, realized it was. It was just blank. After adding the two lines for my sata drives, booted up fine. I appreciate the help... all be it 12 years before I needed it!