Thread: The Live CD List

The Live CD List

Most free...HERE
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Thanks JohnT,a great link....seems like linux is so well rounded now. It's just a matter of time, now.
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

It is interesting to see the Slax family (Slax, Whax, Slampp, etc) featuring so highly in the list.

I believe Knoppix once was regarded as King of the Live CD and still is doing well with its family with members like Kanotix and various XXXoppix. I always view the Knoppix as part of the Debian family so the Ubuntu and its different variations are also powerful Live CDs.

Think Fedora (Red Hat family) is getting into the Live CD too but the OpenSuse still has a long way to go.

I think the next move is to have the options of allowing the Linux be installed as a Live CD mode in addition to permanently as a full operating system.

The pros and cons are

Installed in a hard disk to run as a Live CD
    (1) The operating system is 100% portable
    (2) The hard disk space require is same size (or not much bigger than) as the CD or DVD
    (3) Many Linux can be easily installed in one hard disk

Full installation of a Linux

(1) Settings and changes are saved
    (2) Setting are hardware specific and so the system is not 100% transferrable between PCs
    (3) Installed size can be 3 to 5 times of the Livee CD/DVD
    (4) Easier to expand and add more programs and functionalities.

I believe Puppy, Slax and DSL are among those offering both options.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

A word of caution... the last time I explored the live CD list it was woefully out of date. For example, no Sidux-- and lots of links that lead to nowhere. Oh, and the forum was like a ghost town with spam spam spam (no baked beans) and spam the only sign of life. That may have changed (I only took a glance this time) Either way, the page is worth looking at, but it may not be the final word. You nay want to try doing a search for live cds at distrowatch.com for more current information.