Ubuntu 8.10 does not offer KDE3 as an option!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.10 does not offer KDE3 as an option!

Think it does. People call it kubuntu.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Talking

Correct. Ubuntu is Gnome. Kubuntu is KDE. And of course there is the XFCE version. So pick the one you want.

Personally, I love Gnome. And of course, everyone knows Gnome is the best DE in the whole damn WORLD!
    Last edited by loopback48; 10-31-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

No, in the repository "kde" is seperate from "kubuntu-desktop", so if you install Ubuntu and then "kde" you still have ubuntu. You get the ubuntu splashscreen, which you don't get if you install kubuntu-desktop; that gets you the kubuntu splashscreen. You get the idea.

Anyway, that's not the point. Whatever you call it. KDE is now only KDE4 KUBUNTU-DESKTOP is all KDE4. Horrible, horrible KDE4! KDE3 has gone the way of Redhat9 and Debian "Woody". I was expecting KDE4 to be the default, not the only option! I don't wish to be overly negative, so let me choose my words carefully and respectfully.

I would sooner drive nails into my skull!

I know that I'm sort of being a dick about this, and I just can't help it. I was Kookoo for Konqueror, and the new Konqueror is just krap. At the KDE forums, they didn't seem to appreciate me starting a thread entitled "The apokolyspe starts early". But really, that's just too bad. If I have to eat this **** sandwich, they can watch me eat it in their forums.

So, loopback, the good news is I seem to have switched to Gnome, and it's not terrible.

PS. Seriously, KDE4 isn't really that bad. It's kind of cool, but why does KDE3 have to die? WHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 10-31-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Linux is good for a long time

The good news is Linux distros can be good for a very long time. Get the latest version with KDE3 and tweak it, and it will be good for years if you want.

I realize you are the type of person who loves to bounce around and try all different stuff, and new stuff. But, that is a choice, not a mandate.

I worked with a man when I retired in 1997 who still used an old XT with Word Perfect 5.? and an old dot matrix printer. His daughter was using it for school work. People teased him, things like, "You have to go to the bathroom while it loads a file."

He'd shrug his shoulders, and say, "So what? I gotta' go to the bathroom once in a while, anyway."

TSC (Tractor Supply Company) started using a low number version of Redhat for all their stores in the 90's, and had not re-booted well into the new century. They said they saw no reason to re-boot for anything as long as it still worked perfectly. I might take a look and see what they are doing now.

My old laptop, the one that got hit by lightning and lost it's NIC had Mandriva LE 2005. It still worked, except for latest and greatest video stuff, when the NIC went out. I never put ndiswrapper in it, might be interesting to try out of curiosity.

Kubuntu 7.04 works the wireless card in that machine, even with the bad NIC.

A distro, a good one, will work for a long time.

@blackbelt_jones

You and I seem to be on the same boat! Cheers!!

(Much like irlandes has pointed out,) Ubuntu 8.04 and its derivatives are LTS releases, and shall be maintained till 2011. That's time enough for me.

I just hope KDE4 gets a little polished by then.
    Last edited by i845_; 11-01-2008 at 10:01 AM.

I would prefer to support a distro that is commited to supporting the users. The truth is , it's probably not my problem. I use KDE applications with fluxbox. When Koinqueror is fixed, I'll be fine, but I object to an artificial deadline being placed on KDE3 users, whether it's 2011, 2015 or 2020. Aaron Seigo once told me that in free software, use equals maintanance. That's the natural condition of free software.

Well, if you want a solid implementation of KDE3.5, you could always run Slackware 12.1. It's a very solid distro, and I am running it on my IBM Thinkpad T20, where Ubuntu 8.10 won't even boot, by the way.

Otherwise, you'll have to run the LTS version of Kubuntu, 8.04, which will give you KDE3 for years to come.

By the way, on the aforementioned T20, I am running KDE4 because it kicks kde3's butt. It is the nicest, smoothest Linux desktop I have used and I love it.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Quote Originally Posted by psych-major
    Well, if you want a solid implementation of KDE3.5, you could always run Slackware 12.1. It's a very solid distro, and I am running it on my IBM Thinkpad T20, where Ubuntu 8.10 won't even boot, by the way.

Otherwise, you'll have to run the LTS version of Kubuntu, 8.04, which will give you KDE3 for years to come.

By the way, on the aforementioned T20, I am running KDE4 because it kicks kde3's butt. It is the nicest, smoothest Linux desktop I have used and I love it.
    Kids, the Slackware Guy is not your friend.
    It seems that there's always a Slackware guy... and he's usually named psych-major.

EXCELLENT NEWS! I found a 3rd person repo for KDE3 in Ubuntu.

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

After installing KDE3, I had a problem logging on with KDM, had to mount the harddrive with a a knoppix disk and disable KDM (in /etc/rc2.d) in order to login with the council, but ever since then, it's been sweet. KDE3.5.10 actually has some nice improvements.

Until I know more, I'd advise anyone who wants to try this to do what I did, and start with Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu. There's no telling how KDE3 and KDE4 will play together. I'll ask the repo guy how much he knows.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-03-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psych-major
    ...and what was wrong wit this suggestion?
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Slackware may actually be a good choice for you, BBJ...kde4's just in /testing now, it'll probably be another release or two before it hits -current....has everything else you use, fluxbox, and what not...I dont actually know what you do use outside of fluxbox and konqueror...Hell, its easy enough just to install what you need just for those two
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

And it defaults to runlevel 3, as per this rant, I mean post:
    http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=152056
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    At the KDE forums, they didn't seem to appreciate me starting a thread entitled "The apokolyspe starts early".
    I can't imagine why.

I guess I'll be holding off on updating to 8.10 at work then. I've been running the 8.04 Kubuntu KDE4 edition in VirtualBox at home for a while and while I see a lot of potential, it feels unpolished to me and it's still missing a fair amount of functionality. I guess I'll try the upgrade there and see if any of that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    I can't imagine why.

I guess I'll be holding off on updating to 8.10 at work then. I've been running the 8.04 Kubuntu KDE4 edition in VirtualBox at home for a while and while I see a lot of potential, it feels unpolished to me and it's still missing a fair amount of functionality. I guess I'll try the upgrade there and see if any of that has changed.
    Actually, that thread actually turned out pretty productive and positive. I learned a lot from the experience. Next time someone tells me that I can't run KDE3 on their latest release or any future releases, I won't become upset. I'll become amused.

Next time someone tells me that I can't run KDE3 on their latest release or any future releases, I won't become upset. I'll become amused.
    Of course there is no need to get upset. The beauty of open source is that you can run whatever you want. It of course doesn't mean that Ubuntu will give you support if you mess up your box installing software they don't provide/support.

The source for kde3 is out there. You can run it on your box till the end of time. I don't suggest it though since it won't receive security updates eventually but hey...you're free to run it if it makes you happy.

(just unplug your comptuer from the net if you're going to be using un-patched software )
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b