A kate like editor...

Thread: A kate like editor...

A kate like editor...

I'm a GTK person by choice, however the other day at work I found myself having to use Kate, and I was very impressed with it. I spend a lot of time grepping files during work, because of this I loved the functionality in Kate that allowed me to grep within a file or directory directly from the editor. I haven't seen this in any GTK based apps and was wondering if anyone knew of one that provided said functionality.

Ideally it would also have the built in terminal like Geany / Kate and syntax highlighting for Tcl as well as the usual languages (C/Java/C++/etc)

If anyone know of such an editor please let me know.

T.I.A
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

Why not just install kate? Like you, I like it much better than gedit, etc. So on my ubuntu desktop (gnome default) I've just installed the kate package (and the libs, etc. it requires). Works like a champ. Just because you have one DE doesn't mean you can't have supporting libraries and apps from another DE.

I will just install it on my home machine if there isn't an alternative, but I was looking for something that would fit more naturally into XFCE if possible.
    Last edited by deathadder; 11-07-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Code Monkey (YouTube)

I like leafpad, which I believe is included in xfce under the name mousepad.
    The line numbering feature is handy.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at those later. Does medit allow you to search from within the editor? I had a quick look at the site on Friday from work, went home to find my computer had decided it was a good time to "loose" my hard drives Anyway, I'll install that this evening. I'll have a closer look at leafpad/mousepad later on.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Code Monkey (YouTube)

It may be a bit overkill, but you could look into eclipse...I dont think it has tcl highlighting, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a plugin out there for it

Certainly does support a multitude of search options, including using regular expressions throughout a project

HTH
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions guys, medit is very close to what I was looking for, but I couldn't see a way to search through files.

Darkbolt: Eclipse is a little bit overkill, but I'm going to be getting back into Java programming so I'll have a look using that if I can find a Tcl plugin...I do like syntax highlighting when I'm coding

Thanks guys

Code Monkey (YouTube)