Elive code

Thread: Elive code

Elive code

Can someone pm me an invitation code for elive? It says on the website that for every code given out on a linux forum you can get 2 more.

Not knowing anything at all about elive, this looks suspicious to me. Anyone thinking of doing this may consider checking the elive site themselves, to be sure this is actually true, before sending an "invitation code". (Whatever that even is. Sounds really suspicious to have something like that for a distro, to me. But maybe I'm just getting old. )

fin7710 -- do you happen to have a link to where they're saying this?

Last time I had a look at elive, they require a minimum $5 donation (is it really a 'donation' if it's required to obtain the product?) in order to download the stable version. In the case of it being used for educational purposes (at a university or such) they ask the instructor to contact them, and download codes will be provided.

Upon looking at the site, they do have an invitation system, http://www.elivecd.org/codes
    'Moreover, for each of your codes shared on a Linux message-board, mailing list, or forum, we will grant you 2 new ones!!! (please provide a link for verification) '
    , I believe this would be the part fin7710 is referring to

Also, the development version is freely downloadable.

HTH
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

Ah, I see. I think. I'm not sure exactly why they're deciding to distribute their stuff that way, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with it. (As long as anyone who gets the binaries also has access to the sources, in keeping with the GPL. I assume this is true, though I haven't looked.)

But anyway, after reading that page, it appears this is legit -- but you do have to send them a link to where you shared the code. So don't do it via PM, or you won't be able to create a link to it. Might as well have everyone (who wants to) post their codes in this thread then.

Quote Originally Posted by bwkaz
    Ah, I see. I think. I'm not sure exactly why they're deciding to distribute their stuff that way, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with it. (As long as anyone who gets the binaries also has access to the sources, in keeping with the GPL. I assume this is true, though I haven't looked.)

But anyway, after reading that page, it appears this is legit -- but you do have to send them a link to where you shared the code. So don't do it via PM, or you won't be able to create a link to it. Might as well have everyone (who wants to) post their codes in this thread then.
    From what I gather its A)an attempt at marketing elive, as well as B)motivation to donate, so the developer can continue to eat

Having tried the unstable version a month or so ago, I will say aesthetically is is very nice...However, mostly due to E17 not being complete, does have its fair share of bugs and annoyances

Havent tried out the stable release...Gladly would if someone would like to post a download code though
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504