Ixnay on the advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ixnay on the advertisements

Ixnay on the advertisements

I understand Jupiter media needs some means of creating profit from this site...however, don't you think that having to view not one, but two full screen ads when going to justlinux.com is excessive?

I know the forum has slowed in recent times, but I don't think advertising in such a way is the right path to making up the server & bandwidth costs. Maybe our jupiter media overlords could think about doing something to spiff up the site...Maybe get us a custom theme to differentiate ourselves from a generic install of vB, or maybe offer T-shirts or something to those willing to write high-quality how-to's...But loading the site up with more ads to make up for the lack of people visiting/posting will just make the situation worse in the long run

then again...Here's our dear admin's perspective on it
    where can the revenue possibly come from? I'm looking at the situation and I can't see how it can generate revenue. It's not from advertising, obviously, because they don't run other people's ads. Anybody know?
    (from http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151034)

Hell, maybe go the way of slashdot and offer a paid subscription or something...but dont make me look at two fullscreen ads just to go to jl.com...
    Keep in mind, this is a linux site, the users are smart enough to install adblock and noscript, making the attempt rather vain
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

Maybe including something like Linux Questions.org where you've got a banner advert and a 'login to get rid of this advertisement' option, see here. *Of course putting the location of the advert on the side of a thread and not in it!*

That wouldn't bother me because I always 'Remember Me' checked...

[EDIT]
    Darkbolt many of the JL regulars will be using AdBlock or something similiar but if you just have a look at the statistics on the page 'Currently Active Users: 85 (3 members and 82 guests)' suggests to me a lot of people coming from search engines, and I would guess a large percentage are using IE or something similar, looking for fixes to Linux problems, that doesn't have Adblock or something of the like...

Or maybe I'm completely wrong...it wouldn't be the first and it definitely won't be the last time
    Last edited by deathadder; 11-18-2008 at 05:18 AM.
    If you have to ask why you want to install Linux, then perhaps you shouldn't.
    -- Michael D. Watts (Gone but never forgotten)

Linux is not Windows | Posting Guidelines

Code Monkey (YouTube)

we know some people use ad blocking, the advertisers know it too. When enough people use it, the advertisers will stop bothering, and sites such as this will be gone from the Internet.

I don't mind the ads.....really I don't....just can't stand the presentation.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbolt
    Hell, maybe go the way of slashdot and offer a paid subscription or something...but dont make me look at two fullscreen ads just to go to jl.com...
    Someone or other (ahem) suggested that about five years ago, but the idea never seemed to get anywhere.

Personally I find the ads annoying, making me less likely to spend money on the crud^H^H^H^Hproducts they advertise, but it hasn't put me off JL so far.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

the subscription route has been tried, it doesn't work. Also complicates matters considerably, needing some type of payment gateway.

The ads bother you here? Guess you've never been to a site like Experts-Exchange

What full screen ads? I got to justlinux.com hit forum, login and hit new posts everyday...are my anti-ad plugins working that well? I'll try IE since I can right now...
    besides being slower it looks just the same to me...what am I missing?

So, my watching the ads puts money in the coffers, I'm all for that. There are sites that have so many ads I for get the reason for being there, not that it takes much for that to happen any more.
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

I don't really mind the full screen ads. As long as we don't start having ads within the individual threads. I can't stand it when on a forum I read a post and then to get to the replies I have to scroll through a crap load of ads.
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

I hate when they do that, every other post is an ad...I tend to never go back to those sites

I think how the ads are handled on JustLinux is very well balanced and non-intrusive...which is become rare these days

They could create a cafe press shop and make some money like that. Shops are free to open and you make money everytime you sell an item.
    http://tpspace.net <<<< My Blog
    http://tpspace.net/wallpaper<<<wallapaper i use
    registered linux user #455172
    ubuntu user # 23820

http://nolimit974.mybrute.com<<< good game

I don't understand how google makes money.

I don't understand how justlinux makes money from these ads.

I never ever ever click them. Ever. Never ever.

I am so used to how the page's i frequent are laid out that my mind just blocks out those sections of the screen.

I cannot tell you with any confidence what companies are advertised here.

I challenge any of you, without looking, to name any besides Microsoft.

You can adblock all you want, but I guess my eyes have adblock installed by default.

Thanks for the great site and thanks for keeping it available to me for free, even if it does cost me some monitor real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by nolimit974 View Post
    They could create a cafe press shop and make some money like that. Shops are free to open and you make money everytime you sell an item.
    Uh, no. It's a pittance and WAY more trouble than it could ever be worth.

Where's "Punch the Monkey"! Haven't seen that around for a few days!!!
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

You are the monkey John!
    *PUNCH*